Acer Aspire V3-772G - BIOS setup utility menu items have disappeared

loungehake
loungehake Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Acer Aspire V3-772G - BIOS setup utility menu items have disappeared

I have setup this brand new laptop, pre-installed with Windows 8.1, for my sister-in-law who bought it.  The installation went well BUT the 16GB USB device which I purchased as advised by the Acer literature to store the recovery partition was not big enough, the physical capacity being 14.4GB.  The Acer book says use a 16GB device or larger so I did.  I naively thought that a USB drive which was labelled 16GB would be appropriate.  Not so.  I have had to buy a larger one but am still awaiting delivery.

I therefore decided to image the whole HDD to save the work I had done but found that the Acronis Backup and Recovery DVD would not boot.  I went into the setup utility and adjusted the Boot settings to legacy and changed device priority.  Acronis would not run so I did not continue.  I went back into the setup utility, used F9 to restore the default and found to my astonishment that the DUAL boot option had now disappeared and the Windows Boot option had also vanished.

This means that this £800 laptop is now unusable.  The setup utility self-reconfigured without warning.  Nowhere is there any advice or warning not to use the setup utility in case it erases features which cannot be recovered by using F9 to recover the default configuration.  If this is not a serious design fault, I don't know what is. 

I am deeply worried because the idea of a BIOS setup utility behaving this way seems so improbable that I wonder if anyone will believe me.  How is it that the setup utility has been designed to self-harm like this?

Best Answer

• loungehake
    Answer ✓

Your suggested action works!  Thanks very much.  You've saved my life.

loungehake

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    14.4gb works for the recovery image.

On BIOS can you check if UEFI and secure boot are enabled?
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • loungehake

Thank you for your reply.  I confirm that Boot Mode is UEFI and the Secure Boot option is enabled.  There is no DUAL boot option displayed.  Neither is 'Windows Boot' (I forget exactly what it is called) any longer present in position one of the boot devices list.

Using F9 to reset the BIOS setup utility to default options just will not work.

• loungehake
    Answer ✓

Your suggested action works!  Thanks very much.  You've saved my life.

loungehake

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

You welcome. Smiley Happy

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • loungehake

Just some feedback: I had to use a 32GB USB Flash to successfully create a Recovery Drive.  The 16GB USB Flash must have been very borderline for required storage capacity.