Acer Aspire V3-731 and an Intel 3160HMW

Options
SCTom
SCTom Member Posts: 7 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

I have the above laptop, upgraded from Win7 to Win8 Pro to Win8.1 Pro (all 64-bit). I have been very disatisfied with the factory-installed Atheros AR5BWB222 wireless card, and came across a good deal on an Intel 3160 Dual Band Wireless AC + Bluetooth Mini PCIe card. I removed the Atheros and installed the Intel, thinking it would automatically pick up the drivers if I had my UTP cable plugged in. Wrong! I then shut it down, removed the Intel card, booted it up with no wireless, and removed the Atheros drivers for wireless and BT. Rebooted just to be sure, then hooked up the UTP cable and downloaded and installed the Intel drivers for my card.I then reinstalled the Intel card, booted up, and Windows wouldn't even find it. No listing in Device Manager, no discovery when trying "Scan for hardware changes", absolutely nothing. 

I tried numerous other methods- uninstall drivers, insert card without drivers and then install drivers, nothing works. Thinking that maybe the card was bad, I put it in my old Gateway M6850fx (even though it only has a full sized port) and it installed fine, once I went out to Intel and DL'd the drivers for Win7. Had wireless and BT, no problem.

Any ideas on what I can do to get my Acer to recognize it? Does Acer have a "whitelist" like some HP's? If so, is there any way around it? I have the latest BIOS and drivers for WIn8.1 that Acer has to offer, but I'll be darned if I can figure out what to do to make this card work.

TIA!

Best Answer

• SCTom
    Answer ✓
    Options

Well, after further degeneration of the Atheros card, I bought a Broadcom BCM943228HMB Combo WiFi/BT card ($19 from Amazon) and installed it. OMG, what a difference! As soon as I booted the laptop, it installed the wifi driver on its own, then went out and updated it to the latest version. I now have wifi almost before the OS finishes loading :-)

I had to manually install the BT drivers, but that was also painless. Now both my wifi and BT are rock solid with a great connection and no intermittent disconnects. I've only had the card installed for a week, but I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for wifi performance that doesn't break down every 10 minutes.

SC Tom

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,157 Trailblazer
    Options

I don't think that your MB supports AC mode wireless cards. I am not 100% sure, so better wait for someone else to chime in.

http://si.acer.com/ac/en/SI/content/model-datasheet/NX.M31EX.019

But AC cards are backward compatible, so in theory it should work, let me dig in further.

• DarrenHill
    DarrenHill Member Posts: 37 New User
    Options

No, Acer's don't have whitelists (at least so I was lead to believe recently when I was trying to get an Intel 7260 to work with my AO722, which failed miserably due to crappy Intel Windows drivers - it worked beautifully straight out of the box with Ubuntu but couldn't see any networks at all under Windows 7).

One useful tip for checking the hardware is to try it under Linux. If you go to the Ubuntu website, you can download an ISO that you can burn onto a DVD or set up on a USB and then try as a live-DVD or live-USB. That way it boots of it but doesn't install anything on your HDD and as Linux seems to be much better at picking up hardware than Windows is it's a good way to tell if you have knackered hardware or just an OS issue.

For details on making a live-DVD of Ubuntu - see here.

For details on making a live-USB of several different Linux flavours - see here.

You can of course make live-DVD's of almost any flavour of Linux - if you prefer Debian or Mint just do a Google search to bring up their respective pages describing how to do it (basically just download their .iso files and burn their content to a DVD - details of how to do that are in the Ubuntu link above).

This isn't a proposal to switch over to Linux, but just use it as a single-shot non-invasive test to confirm issues with hardware vs issues with Windows.

• SCTom
    Options

I thought of that too, but this article says it shouldn't be a problem (we all know how that goes LOL):

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-030503.htm

• SCTom
    Options

Darren,

Thanks for the links. I created live DVD's of Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon (first one I came across), and Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS (both 64-bit), then tried each one. Both would see my wired connection even though no cable was plugged in (both informed me of that state), but neither would see wireless or BT. I could set up a wireless connection, but nowhere was I offered the chance to connect to it :-( Looks like I'll have to send the 3160 back, or give it to a friend.

It really sucks that my 9 year old Gateway can recognize the wireless and the BT, but my 18 month old Acer won't see it at all. But at least now I know it's a hardware problem and not Windows fault (way too easy to blame it LOL).

I guess I'll have to stick with the factor card, or find a local PC repair/sales/upgrade place that would be willing to let me try some of their wifi/BT cards.

Thanks for your suggestions!

• DarrenHill
    DarrenHill Member Posts: 37 New User
    Options

You're welcome. As you say it sounds like a hardware fault, so time for repair or replacement I'm afraid.

Good luck in getting it sorted.

• SCTom
    Options

I don't think there's anything broken with the Acer, just that it doesn't recognize the Intel card for whatever reason.

On a side note, since uninstalling the Atheros software and the original card, then reinstalling the card, the wifi is much more consistent than it was before. It's still not perfect, but it's better than it was. Go figure :-) Maybe it's an accumulative effect from all the upgrades.

Thanks again for your help.

• SCTom
    Answer ✓
    Options

Well, after further degeneration of the Atheros card, I bought a Broadcom BCM943228HMB Combo WiFi/BT card ($19 from Amazon) and installed it. OMG, what a difference! As soon as I booted the laptop, it installed the wifi driver on its own, then went out and updated it to the latest version. I now have wifi almost before the OS finishes loading :-)

I had to manually install the BT drivers, but that was also painless. Now both my wifi and BT are rock solid with a great connection and no intermittent disconnects. I've only had the card installed for a week, but I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for wifi performance that doesn't break down every 10 minutes.

SC Tom

• antocaso
    antocaso Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

Hi SCTom, I've a similar problem with wifi module of my new Acer v3-371 and its Atheros AR9462.
    I'd like relpace this module with an Intel 6235AN.HMWWB, becouse I use Linux and Intel cards work fine.
    But, after I read your posts, I fear that it can have problems with BIOS.
    Did you find out if this problem with bios exists?
    After Broadcom's installation, did not tried have more informations?
    Could you try to use the Broadcom with a recent live version of ubuntu and verify if it works?

Thanks, Thanks a lot.

• SCTom
    Options

I don't know what the BIOS problem is (or what it is supposed to be). There are no settings in my BIOS that refer to the card or any other hardware really, other than drives and memory. Seems like Acer put a pretty barebones BIOS in their laptops.

I booted from an Ubuntu live CD (v14.04.1 LTS), and while it connect my Bluetooth mouse and see my ethernet card, it wouldn't find my wireless, even when I gave it all the information I could. That doesn't mean that it doesn't necessarily work (I couldn't get the Intel card to work with it either), just that I'm not familiar enough with Ubuntu or Linux to be sure I'm setting it up right.

My Broadcom card is still working fine with Win8.1 and is even recognized by Win10TP. I hope you can get one of the cards you try to work with everything you need it to. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

SC Tom

• antocaso
    antocaso Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

Thank you very much, you've been very helpful