Acer Aspire V3-571G came with Linux,Bios 1.13 only runs Windows 8

annette03
annette03 Member Posts: 1 New User

I have an Acer Aspire V3-571G when I bought the laptop it came with a version of Linux,I deleted everything that was on the laptop and I`ve installed Windows Vista (that was the only one I had at that moment). I bought Windows 7 but surprise it does not work,any version of Windows 7 I try to install lets me do the partitions,the files are installing but at the end of the installation when it says "Setup is updating registry" a blue screen appears with some technical details and it says to check if some drivers are broken or to check for bios upgrades because from security reasons the windows was shut down.

The only windows that currently my laptop supports are Vista and Windows 8.

The bios version is 1.13 I just did the upgrade ( I used the manufacturer version until now) and I tried to install it again but it just won`t work,instead of starting the windows that blue screen appears and forces me to install windows 8 again.

What can I do? I have looked for answers here and everyone is talking about that Advanced Menu in the Bios which of course I don`t have.

Any help for me please?

Spoiler

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,435 Trailblazer

Have you checked to see if the hidden Win7 erecovery partition is still intact by the Alt+F10 erecovery boot method? If not, you can order Win7 recovery media for nominal cost at https://store.acer.com/en-us/extended/recovery/

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• mrpete
    mrpete Member Posts: 32 New User

You might consider installing Windows 10, just to see if it works for you.

During installation select "skip it" when it tries to register the OS with Microsoft. You'll have some days/weeks (?4 weeks?) before the OS starts to get grumpy that the OS is not registered. During that time you can evaluate if the OS works properly on that laptop.

Windows 10 seems to do a reasonable job all by itself of at least getting things to minimally work vis-a-vis the hardware.

Here's a slightly different install option than the one above, but with the same intent = evaluation. I haven't done this, but the option at the link below may work for you. Clearly, YMMV here. You will likely need to sign up for the Windows Insider Program. You need to know how to burn an ISO file to DVD (or USB drive). You may well want to try the install on some other HDD than the one you are currently using. If you think you might eventually go with Win10 Home then my suggestion for the download choice would be "Home Single Language," but "Insider Preview - Build 14332" is another option.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windowsinsiderpreviewadvanced

Here's a third option. If you have a legal copy of Windows 8 ( = registered) you are entitled to upgrade to Win10. That shouldn't be too difficult.