Acer Aspire V 11 Touch - dual booting and need Vista drivers

Options
Htrad
Htrad Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Hi - anyone know where I can get 32 bit Windows Vista drivers for WLAN on the Acer Aspire V 11 Touch? Can dual boot the software but cannot connect to the internet on Vista.

Many thanks.

Best Answer

• Htrad

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options

OK, time to abandon this. Pretty disappointed that although I can dual boot finding the right drivers (video card and wlan) is next to impossible. People still want to dual boot and effectively it's being knocked on the head - I can understand why (from a marketing perspective) but this will only harm M$ in the long term.

If I purchased useful software a few years ago, and it still has use to me today, then I should be able to run it on my "modern" computer without the need to downgrade the hardware, which is effectively what I have to do.

W8 is new beginning true, and W10 will be an improvement, but M$ should:

1. Make virtual machines freely available - currently available (non M$) virtual machines are severely limited.

2. Recognise that a lot of users still want run programs they ran using XP.

Rant over, and M$, this is one customer who is close to abandoning your software.

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

That's a fairly new laptop. Why do you want to run Vista?

• Htrad

Tinkerer

Options

Vista has features I need to run programs I have as Windows 8.1 won't. A virtual machine doesn't cut it either.

Can this machine (V 11 Touch) run Vista? Yes it can because I've dual booted already. However, I cannot load all of the drivers needed - Ialso have problems with hardware acceleration and video cards.

Would really appreciate some advice on this and ideally a link to download the drivers required - if they actually exist. The processor is an Intel N3530.

• philetus
    Options

Try installing every Acer 32 bit Vista driver you find in compatability mode. Maybe even Windows 7 drivers.You might get lucky.

• Htrad

Tinkerer

Options

Appreciate the advice, thanks - will do that. I've got (found) the LAN driver so can connect to the internet by a cable. WLAN is more problematic.

I'm just concerned about the hardare acceleration issues (i.e. Windows Media Center and even simple games run slowly (visually)). It's possible the video card for this machine only runs on a W8.1 driver but I guess if I try and find the make etc. I can track it down. Efforts so far have failed.

I know it appears as sheer lunacy to want to run Vista and W8.1 but the former has Media Center which I need. There's no way I'm paying nearly $100 to upgrade to 8.1 Pro and buy the Media Center add-on for another $10. Sure, I can download free media players but I like the functionality of Media Center.

Just hugely disappointed M$ decided to pull Media Center from W8 after initially offering it as a freebie...

• philetus
    Options

Have you tried the latest 32bit Intel HD graphics driver for Vista 15.22.54.2622?

Intel® HD Graphics Driver for Windows 7 * Windows Vista* (zip)

• Htrad

Tinkerer

Options

philetus - many thanks, appreciate your help. Will try this tonight.  

• Htrad

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options

OK, time to abandon this. Pretty disappointed that although I can dual boot finding the right drivers (video card and wlan) is next to impossible. People still want to dual boot and effectively it's being knocked on the head - I can understand why (from a marketing perspective) but this will only harm M$ in the long term.

If I purchased useful software a few years ago, and it still has use to me today, then I should be able to run it on my "modern" computer without the need to downgrade the hardware, which is effectively what I have to do.

W8 is new beginning true, and W10 will be an improvement, but M$ should:

1. Make virtual machines freely available - currently available (non M$) virtual machines are severely limited.

2. Recognise that a lot of users still want run programs they ran using XP.

Rant over, and M$, this is one customer who is close to abandoning your software.

• Storgaard
    Storgaard Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

What Lan Driver did you found and where? I have the exact same problem with Win Vista on this mashine, so I really like to know where to get it.