Acer Aspire TimelineX 3830T - bluetooth module unplugged

Options
wailard
wailard Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hello,

I have an Acer Aspire TimelineX 3830T running Windows 7. On the bottom of the laptop there's a sticker that says "This device contains bluetooth module - Broadcom bcm92070md_ref". I'm planning on using a bluetooth keyboard, but I cannot seem to get bluetooth to work at all. 

When I try to install the Broadcom bluetooth driver from the Acer website (either 4.0 or the older one) it says "No Bluetooth device was detected. Please make sure that your Bluetooth device is plugged in properly in order to continue installation". This is always the case, even if I try to install while Bluetooth is toggled "on" from the launch manager.

There's nothing related to Bluetooth under Device Manager / Network Adapters, or under the Control Panel. Additionally, when I run "services", the only two items related to Bluetooth are "Bluetooth Service" and "Bluetooth Support Service", I'm not sure if I'm missing any. I've tried installing the drivers while "Bluetooth Support Service" is started from services but that didn't solve anything either.

By starting "Bluetooth Support Service" from services, I'm able to access my computer's bluetooth settings but nothing can be saved since I get an error message - "Bluetooth device might be unplugged".

Any idea how to resolve this? Would getting a USB dongle be my best bet at this point?

Thanks.

01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg04.jpg05.jpg

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

>>>Would getting a USB dongle be my best bet at this point?>>>

A CSR4.x dongle would be faster than the old module you *might not*  have in there now. 8^) And at less than $5 with free shipping on eBay, the dongle solution kinda hard to pass up. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Options

If the BT module is present, it's ribbon cable connector under the palmrest may need to be reseated to the mainboard to clean its contacts. Google "3830T" "disassembly" with the quotes for videos on how to access this module. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• wailard
    Options
    Thanks for the reply, I'll try seeing if anything is loose in there later.
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options

>>>Would getting a USB dongle be my best bet at this point?>>>

A CSR4.x dongle would be faster than the old module you *might not*  have in there now. 8^) And at less than $5 with free shipping on eBay, the dongle solution kinda hard to pass up. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• wailard
    Options
    Yeah that's true! I ordered a dongle yesterday actually. At this point I'm just curious as to if my laptop even had a Bluetooth module in the first place, since I don't think I've used that functionality on this machine in the 5 years I've owned it!

Thanks!