Acer Aspire One Cloudbook 11 reset failure

Bill5159
Bill5159 Member Posts: 7 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

Hi, new to this forum and looking for some assistance please. Tried to reset pc to factory setting. Keeping my files resets to 38% then returns to blue screen with message "error resetting this pc" Same when i try removing all files, reset goes to 62% then same failure message. Returning to exit and load Windows 10 gives a looping acer screen.

Have triedStart up repair and start up setting but get cant repair messages.

Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

What reset method did you try to use? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Bill5159

Alt + F10 then tried both resets, keeping files and deleting all

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

I suggest you to reset your laptop using windows media tool and creating a bootable windows 10 media:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

click on download tool now, let the program download the needed files and then plug and USB flash drive (16GB for better compatibility)

once done, plug the USB flash drive to your laptop and boot from the flash drive, if it doesn't boot, enter BIOS pressing F2, go to boot menu, enable F12 boot list menu, press F10 save and exit.

at next boot press F12 and then choose the USB flash drive.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JackE

Is the machine still under warranty? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Bill5159

Out of warranty a month ago.

• Bill5159

F12 only gives "Windows Boot Manager" as boot option so does not recognise flash drive.

Have tried changing boot sequence in F2 but still does not recognise flash drive.

• IronFly
    This happens when the flash is not partitioned correctly.

Instead of creating the USB flash drive from the media tool, choose to download the iso file.

Then download Rufus
    https://rufus.akeo.ie/?locale=en_US

Plug the USB flash drive, set Rufus as on its website mainpage, load in it the iso file and burn it to the USB flash drive.

Then plug it to the laptop, press F12 and choose the USB flash drive.
  • Bill5159

Still only getting "Windoes boot manager" as the only boot option

• JackE

Have you tried to F2 into the BIOS menu to change the boot order? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• IronFly

Bill5159 wrote:

Still only getting "Windoes boot manager" as the only boot option

Double check that you set Rufus as on this pic (apart Device) and you load the iso file click on the little icon near ISO image:

rufus_en

• Bill5159

same setup as your screen shot but still only getting 1 boot optiom, Windows boot manager.

System doesn't have a USB boot option, Please select another boot option in Boot Manager Menu.

• Bill5159

F2 gives me 6 boot options but no matter which one i choose it defaults to winsows boot manager (Generic SD/MMC Storage)

• JackE

I'll try to be optimistic. Either the bootstick is defective. Or the Windows & Rufus USB tools still haven't made the stick recognizably-bootable. Or some other easy fix that I haven't thought of yet. 8^) Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• IronFly

Check if you can disable secure boot on BIOS:

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27072

then try again with the USB flash drive plugged and F12 at boot.

try both USB port on your laptop too.

• Sykotic
    Sykotic Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the problem on my Acer Aspire One Cloudbook 14. Did you manage to fix it? If so could you please tell me how?
  • JackE

I'd suggest you try some of the aforementioned suggestions as your issues may be due to different conditios. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• dbronstein
    dbronstein Member Posts: 1 New User
    I had the same issue and I was able to fix it using the method above - I created a bootable USB drive, I had to go into the BIOS to put USB at the top of the boot list, and then it installed perfectly.
  • ferkemall
    ferkemall Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited January 2018
    Acer one 11, it seems that a lot of these take a windows update then jam up just over the 1yearold, I've tried all of the blue screen options, best I got was 66% on a factory reset.
    Trawler the net but nothing works because it's asking for a password that I was not given so the bios is locked and I can't change the boot order, some said go to the command prompt and type in this and that, it still would not change  boot order, i disconnected the battery done the pin set and now it lost even the blue screen options I have a USB with an image to go but I think they must be doing an apple I mean how many people out there have an Acer that's like 1yearold and one day and it's locked up? Check the net on that one, I emailed Acer they just refer me to their forum,
    All that's going to happen here is the battery will go on Gumtree for £15 (£40 on ebay) and the screen for £10 the rest is going to get flattened,
    The last straw was that Acer said they don't have a password for the bios I did ask them why my Acer keeps asking for one but they did not get back to me, 
    It probably comes under those popular words we have done nothing wrong and our customers get the highest standards of care,
    OK now ask me if I'm ever going to buy an Acer product ever again / no don't ! 
  • ferkemall

Tinkerer

Bill5159 said:

same setup as your screen shot but still only getting 1 boot optiom, Windows boot manager.

System doesn't have a USB boot option, Please select another boot option in Boot Manager Menu.

Yes mine kept doing that, I tried all options it still stuck on m25 whatever  ! 

• ferkemall

Tinkerer

Bill5159 said:

F2 gives me 6 boot options but no matter which one i choose it defaults to winsows boot manager (Generic SD/MMC Storage)

Yes mine to and worse I can't change the boot order to install off a stick, I have the stick with everything needed to go but the Acer keeps asking for a password I don't have, I bought it new, it seems to happen just you had it just over a year, some recover with the Rufus some UK ones like mine don't they boot loop bypassing the blue screen options then your sunk, it's a lot like the auto trans unit in a French car one of them put a counter into the software that triggers limp mode at a certain milage so it has to go into the dealer for an expensive reset that takes all of 10 minutes just plugging in a computer, I have 3 manuals for the same trans unit covering 3 different makes that use the same unit but they put their own software in I think some computer companies do the same sort of thing, 

I hope you get yours sorted good luck !