Acer Aspire One AO751h only detecting 1GB of 2GB Ram stick

Kreation
Kreation Member Posts: 2 New User

I recently purchased a stick of ram for my AO751h, hoping to put as much life back into my old netbook as possible.

The particular stick of ram I purchased was a Kingston 2 GB PC2-5300 DDR2-667 KVR667D2S0/2GR.

I am running the stock installation of Windows XP Home Edition, upgraded to Service Pack 3, and before and after the upgrade, I am still only seeing 0.99 GB detected by Windows in the system information.

I ran CPU-ID and found similar results.

I did a little research and found that an out of date BIOS may cause this problem, so I downloaded the latest version for this specific laptop from Acer, and flashed it.

Upon rebooting, the same problem is prescent, and in the BIOS, it is only detecting 1GB of ram.

Is there anything else I can do to get my AO751h to recognize it's full capacity?

The stick of ram I purchased was refurbished and it is a possibility that it could be a relabeled stick of 1GB of RAM, I have no other laptops or computers that accept this RAM to test and see if that is the case.

Best Answer

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

Anything over Bios version 3204 should make the 2gb visible.Unless you have a hardware problem, I would suspect the memory dimm. remove the memory and clean the contacts with alcohol and qtips. reseat it and check again.

Amazon has that dimm new for $14 and free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-ValueRAM-667MHz-Non-ECC-Notebook/dp/B000Z70E36

• Kreation
    Kreation Member Posts: 2 New User

It turns out that the company sent me the wrong stick of RAM, it's only a 1GB model, part of a 2GB (2x1GB) kit.

Wish I'd checked the model number before I opened the heat sealed packaging it came in.