Acer Aspire One 532h touchpad repair problem

Options
touchyPad
touchyPad Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi, I am trying to repair the touchpad of my Acer 532h netbook. There are a few things that I do not understand. Hope you can help me with this.

The original touchpad (Synaptics driver) did not work, it did not respond unless I used a wet finger. For a few years I didn't bother and used a mouse but now I got into the matter. I ordered a new touchpad with the exact same number on the internet (and crossed fingers) and now I am trying to get the replacement touchpad working. I carefully removed the old touchpad print first, it was glued to the backside of the palmrest. the "defective" touchpadthe "defective" touchpad

First I did a test. I connect the new touchpad via the small buttonboard to the main board without the top cover/palmrest and without the keyboard and it works perfectly! To protect the circuitry I put a plastic foil between the touchpad assembly and the main board. So far so good.

P1040871_MP.jpg

But when I tape it firmly to the backside of the palmrest (I do not dare to remove the protective paper of the new touchpad yet), and then connect it to the main board and start the computer it shows the same behaviour as before: no response unless I use a wet finger. Is there a problem with the palmrest?

I went back to the first test to check the sensitivity of the touchpad.  I put a stack of 2 plastic cards (like credit cards) on top of the touchpad and secured it with masking tape. Everything works fine. Even with irregular layers of carton and tape. No flaws here. So what causes the problem?

On the internet I found a few items about grounding the touchpad. I did some tests but they did not work.

So, attached tot the palmrest things don't work and I can't assemble the netbook now. Although the touchpad itself works all right even with 1.5-2 mm of plastic on top of it. I would really appreciate any comments on this. Thank you.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,605 Trailblazer
    Options

>>>So, attached tot the palmrest things don't work, and without it the touchpad works all right even with 1.5-2 mm of plastic on top of it. I would really appreciate any comments on this. >>>

I'm always amazed how these things seem to work right at all. My comments? You seem to have found a way to resolve the issue. Congrats! Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• touchyPad
    touchyPad Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thanks jackE. The touchpad is OK but I can't use the netbook in this state. Maybe I should try to find another palmrest cover to see if that helps. That's all I can think of now.

• NickJason
    NickJason Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Thanks for posting your results, i know its late however i got this laptop model today ! and was expiriencing the same issues you posted.
    i want to thank you for the testing results you put, you convinced me to get out the sandler tool and scour the palmrest! it solved the problem!
    its not winning any bueaty awards BUT its working again as it should.

i taped arround the touchpad so that the sandler tool would only hit the surfice of the touchpad.

i suspect its the weird dots on the surfice wich caused this issue. 

Anyways i doubt are still awaiting for a reply but i figured to make an account here to let you know, cheers !