Acer Aspire ONE (AO533) Windows 7 Starter only boots in SAFE mode / BCD issues?

Options
TonyB58
TonyB58 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Hi everyone and please be gentle with me – first post!
I was looking for help with my issue when I spotted a question on this site and hopefully helped him to update his BIOS. Then I thought why not try and get help for my problem?

So here it goes.

A while ago my Acer Aspire ONE failed to boot, no matter what I did it would load the BIOS and start loading Windows for a couple of seconds then a black screen and it would either repeat the Windows bar, reboot or just lockup with a black screen..

>> IMG_20151028_122737S.jpg - sorry for the poor photo.

IMG_20151028_122737S.jpg

I pulled the battery, pressed the power button, checked my HDD – nothing.

I thought it may be a graphics / screen problem and tried an external monitor – SAME.

So I tried booting up from a Mini XP DVD – everything works fine. After a few weeks, trying to boot every now and then, I discovered that F8 and SAFE MODE would start my Windows but trying to boot in NORMAL mode, LOW RES mode or LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIG would result in another boot loop ending with a black screen.

I tried several system restore points in safe mode and I checked for malware and viruses.

Nothing helps!

More searching on the Internet suggested that I needed to boot from a Windows 7 DVD and let it run a repair (or two or three). After some initial problems I was finally able to run a REPAIR and it seemed to find some errors and fix them. The problem here was that booting from the Win7 DVD would start booting, from the attached USB DVD, and then – LOOP, the same as booting from the HDD?

I realised that F8 and SAFE worked again and I was then able to run the repair.

However the netbook would still not boot, so after more reading I decided to update the BIOS and downloaded the files from ACER. The instructions were a bit confusing and nothing would run on my SAFE mode. So I tried the power on FN+ESC sequence – NOTHING.

A couple of calls / emails to ACER Support came back with “it’s a hardware fault send it in for repair”.

I finally managed to boot from a Falcon Four DVD and boot into FREE DOS where I was able to run the downloaded FLASH.BAT file and update my BIOS from 1.02 to 1.17. However after I rebooted same problem, it would still only boot in SAFE mode.

More searching on the Internet and I tried several BOOTREC commands, none of which helped.

So I tried running the built in Factory Restore by booting up with ALT+ESC but I could not do that either. Acer Support again “hardware fault send it in” but the hardware WORKS I protested.

OK then you need our recovery media £50.

In the end I changed the ACTIVE partition to PQSERVICE (again that handy Falcon Four DVD) and rebooted. I was finally able to recover my Acer and waited eagerly for the reboot. Much to my surprise (and to my neighbours surprise when they heard all the swear words) the **** thing looped again.

>>Partitions.jpg

Partitions.jpg

After I had calmed down I tried the F8 SAFE trick again and Windows started loading, but this time I could no longer log in. The recovery process was trying to run and gave me an error message to say “I can’t do this in safe mode. Thank you ACER another brilliant system.

>>IMG_20151101_145521.jpg

IMG_20151101_145521.jpg

I then began looking at the BCD files (boot files?) and realised that hey were on a System Reserved partition. When I look at the creation dates they appear fairly recent but before my Factory Restore?

I would have expected the ACER recovery partition to rebuild the boot files?

Did the ACER BCD files have some strange option to work with the AO533?

>>>BCD-new.jpg

BCD-new.jpg

I opened the hidden PQSERVICE recovery partition to find the “originals” and much to my surprise they have the same recent date. Has my Windows 7 repairs or the BOOTREC commands changed these “recovery” files as well? There seemed to be older BCD files in ACERBOOT, BOOT and EFI folders in that partition. I tried copying those to my SYSTEM RESERVED but that threw up boot errors and now I have no idea what else to try.

I think this BCD is the underlying problem but how do I get my AO533 working again?

I would like my Windows 7 back again but failing that what about Windows 10 update.

But HOW?

Could someone help me rebuild a working BCD, or a copy of a working one from their AO533 (or similar). Ideally I would like to put back the original BCD files into my PQSERVICE partition and do a factory reset to get a clean WORKING installation. Is that too much to hope?

HELP – before I go mad (probably too late).

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

Did you try the 

• bootrec /RebuildBcd  command?
  • TonyB58

Tinkerer

Options

Hi philetus.

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the slow reply, I was out all day.

Yes I tried that command and a few more:

bootrec /fixmbr
        bootrec /fixboot
        bootrec /rebuildbcd

Nothing seems to help with my boot issues and I thought BOOTREC had screwed up the BCD on the Recovery partition.

However I did look at the NTBTLOG file.

Did not load driver @cpu.inf,%intelppm.devicedesc%;Intel Processor

Did not load driver @oem19.inf,%ipnvgm0%;Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator 3150

Did not load driver @oem19.inf,%ipnvgm1%;Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator 3150

Did not load driver Realtek High Definition Audio

Did not load driver @usbvideo.inf,%usbvideo.devicedesc%;USB Video Device

Did not load driver @battery.inf,%acpi\pnp0c0a.devicedesc%;Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery

Did not load driver @battery.inf,%acpi\acpi0003.devicedesc%;Microsoft AC Adapter

Did not load driver @battery.inf,%*compbatt.devicedesc%;Microsoft Composite Battery

Did not load driver @usbvideo.inf,%usbvideo.devicedesc%;USB Video Device

Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\WudfPf.sys

Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\nwifi.sys

Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\ndisuio.sys

Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\bowser.sys

Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\mpsdrv.sys

Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\mrxsmb.sys

Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\mrxsmb10.sys

Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\mrxsmb20.sys

Now I'm thinking that THIS may be the problem?

After all it only boots in SAFE mode when apparently Windows loads different "safe" drivers.

No hold on, that does not explain why the A0533 also fails to boot from a Windows 7 DVD - UNLESS I use F8.

But will boot to Mini XP from Hiren's boot DVD 15, but could not get it to boot into Linux.

Neither would it boot from a Windows 10 DVD.

I would assume Microsft would use "safe" drivers that boot on ANY system, whatever drivers are or are not on the HDD? And that those DVDs would NOT use the BCD files on the HDD?

Could it be something wrong with the graphics chip?

But if Min XP boots then surely a Windows 7 / 10 DVD should at least run?

And surely a ACER restore should get a working system back?

No, my brain hurts, I give up again!

WHAT? Where?

Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied.

• philetus
    Options

When you get the message about invalid html, wait a few seconds and post again. Sometimes it takes three or four times before it will post.

Safe mode doesn't just load different "safe" drivers, it also stops any non essential drivers from loading.

Something you installed or Update installed is loading on normal boot and stopping it.

Look in safe mode for things that don't start in safe mode and

uninstall non essential and recent installs one at a time and try booting until you find it.

• TonyB58

Tinkerer

Options

Thanks again philetus, it's so nice having someone else to help.

I do not recall any updates or new installations before it stopped booting.

BUT - I did try a system restore to the day before, and to the oldest restore point I had.

Neither of those did any good and it still failed to boot.

Obviously I had to do both those restores in safe mode as I can't boot into normal mode.

After playing with the BCD I decided to do ALT+F10, and after a few problems managed to fire a "Complete System Restore to Factory Defaults". After that I can no longer boot into safe mode, well I can but it displays the message in my original post and it sticks on SETUP IS STARTING SERVICES and an error box. It makes no sense to me to have a recovery system that relies on Windows booting up before the recovery is done?

But what I cannot explain is why I cannot boot from a Windows 7 or even a Windows 10 DVD?

Any boot or driver issue on the HDD would not stop me booting Windows 7 from a DVD - would it?

I was wondering if the boot on this little laptop had some special Acer instructions?

Yesterday I did some hardware video tests from my Falcon Four DVD (all that I could find) and none of them found a problem. I also tested the memory and again no issues found.

I also noticed that Mini XP works fine but it only has 800x600 which I cannot change, but that could be normal.

I was unable to boot Linux or Windows 7 from a Hiren's 15 USB that I downloaded, but Mini XP was fine.

All I want is a working A0533 with ANY operating system, just as long as I can access the Internet and SKYPE.

Could I delete the drivers using Mini XP?

Talking of drivers any idea what those missing drivers are:

Did not load driver @oem19.inf,%ipnvgm0%;Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator 3150

Did not load driver @oem19.inf,%ipnvgm1%;Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator 3150

Could I somehow put them back?

Mind you where do I get them from (recovery partition?) and where do I put them @oem19...?

• philetus
    Options

If you can find a way to get into safe mode or to a command prompt, try to find and delete or uninstall 

Graphics Media Accelerator 3150.Did you put your boot files back to Sys reserved?

• TonyB58

Tinkerer

Options

Every time I try F8 SAFE it locks up with the message shown in my first message.

There is no (apparent) way to get to do anything.

I will have a go using Mini XP from Hirens and delete ... hold on what do I delete?

• TonyB58

Tinkerer

Options

I can't delete the MISSING (?) video driver using Mini XP - unless someone can give me some details?

I have tried using RECUVA to find my missing OEM19.INF, that I think is the actual problem, and sod's law I can't find it. OEM1 to 18 were recoverable, but not OEM19.inf.

Searched the recovery partition PQSERVICE and several WIM files inside that, but again I could not find OEM19.inf.

Is there someone there that could post me the OEM19.inf (and the other missing drivers posted above) from a working Acer Aspire ONE AO533 or any AO. Or has some idea where I can get them in my PDQSERVICE recovery partition. Surelly they must be there somewhere? I imagine IF the computer could boot in normal mode it would run the rest of the recovery procedure and get them back, but as the drivers are missing it stops.

Any AO533 owners out there?

• philetus
    Options

If you can still boot from Hiren's, run the HDD diagnostic. This could all be caused from bad sectors on the HDD.

• TonyB58

Tinkerer

Options

Hi again Philetus.

That was the FIRST thing I checked.

I pulled the battery, pressed the power button, checked my HDD – nothing.

I did several CHKDSK and even run a full SPINRITE - no disk errors whatsoever.

The problem appears to be that I have somehow lost some OEMxx.inf files and one of them OEM19.inf is the driver for the 3150 graphics card. I am assuming that Windows start loading as per my original post and as soon as it tries to load higher resolution - the screen goes black. Not too sure why it would reboot or turn off?

Anyhow looking at the NTBTLOG seems to show loads of missing drivers which I am unable to recreate or find anywhere on the hard disk. Acer / System reserved or PQSERVICES recovery partition.  As I said after much swearing I then attempted a recovery and now I can't even boot in safe mode.

I am still at a loss to explain why I cannot boot from a Windows 7 DVD?

If I can't find and replace the OEM19 files in the right directory is there any other way I can get the dammed thing to boot from a Windows 7 DVD? Hold on that will probably not work anyhow as the OEM Key will probably be be rejected by Windows 7 installation.

Back to the ACER restore - how can I get it to complete the restore when it refuses to boot in normal mode and the restore fails in SAFE mode. I thought that if I replaced the missing OEM19.inf in the right folder it would at least then be able to run. But I can't find it anywhere.

Surelly they MUST be somewhere in the recovery partition?

But that still does not explain why I can't do a normal boot from the DVD Win 7 / 10.

Surelly it would not then be looking for any drivers from the HDD?

Forget the Netbook - I'm beginning to LOOP myself!

• TonyB58

Tinkerer

Options

Well – I tried a few more things.

I managed to get into the SAFE BOOT while it was trying to recover, just press SHIFT+F10.
    I then copied my VGA_Intel_8.15.10.2093_W7x86_A.zip to C:\ for safe keeping. These are the driver files, downloaded from Acer, for the Intel 3159 graphics. I had already expanded the ZIP to my USB drive.
    Then, still in CMD mode, I was able to CD to the new directory and run SETUP.EXE, much to my surprise it began running. I closed everything and rebooted, feeling rather please with myself.

BUT – it just booted up and the screen went black.

Then I found this article
    http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2085886/acer-install-windows-factory-reset.html
        SHIFT-F10 to bring up command prompt.
        type: CD C:\windows\system32\oobe
        type msoobe
        enter
        Make a generic account and password. hit finish (if it requests a product key and you have one, enter it now.

if OEM/No key required, just finish). Set time/date. Finish.
        Restart.

Well I now have a system that I can at least log onto via F8 – SAFE boot (not quite as good as MY working copy in SAFE mode which I had at the start of this “fix” many days ago).
    I again ran the Intel 3150 setup.exe and I can see that once I do this it device driver shows TWO 3150 graphic card entries. Yes two - I assume that is normal?

But the same result, I am still unable to boot in normal mode.

And I still cannot boot from my new Windows 10 DVD (or my old Windows 7 one).

I give up … for now!

• philetus
    Options

Can you get into control panel and uninstall the graphics card? If it is a graphics driver issue, you will be able to boot with the generic driver.

• TonyB58

Tinkerer

Options

I think THAT is the problem, it will not work with the generic drivers only the SAFE ones.

That explains why it will not boot from a Windows 7 or 10 DVD.

Could the video card have set itself to some odd mode? And how can I undoo that?

As I've said I can boot in SAFE mode (and Mini XP) but NOT in LOW RES (640x480).

In SAFE or Mini XP I'm at 800x600 and can go down to 640x480 (?) but no higher.

I have installed the 3150 driver in SAFE mode

IMG_20151111_111657e.jpg

But I think it still needs to boot up in normal mode to finish that.

I tried disabling the second one and then both 3150 entries in Devices.

IMG_20151111_112322e.jpg

And I was still unable to reboot.

The NTBTLOG still shows loads of "failed to load" drivers. I think this is because I still have not booted up in NORMAL mode after the factory reset and it has not finished what it was doing. Same as when I try to install the 3150 in safe mode - it needs a reboot to finish.

Last few lines of yesterday's NBTLOG

Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\mpsdrv.sys
        Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\mrxsmb.sys
        Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\mrxsmb10.sys
        Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\mrxsmb20.sys
        Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\fastfat.SYS

And that would explain the boot loop, start loading Windows get to graphics driver CRASH (black screen).

If I could just get it to find that @oem19.inf,%ipnvgm1%; and BOOT in NORMAL mode I feel that I could then do another factory restore. That's why I was asking for oem19.inf before.

So close!

• TonyB58

Tinkerer

Options

Sorry.

I also tried UNISTALLING both 3150 entries and rebooting - black screen again.

• philetus
    Options

oem19.inf is in C:/Windows/Inf

Do you have Win 7 SP2 installed?

• TonyB58

Tinkerer

Options

It is NOW!!!!!!

And YES I have Windows 7 Starter

I don't think it will be SP2 as I had to do a Factory Reset but it has failed to boot in NORMAL mode so I'm not too sure that it has actually "finished" the recovery, without having a normal boot.

I found that the AO533 was trying to laod OEM19.INF a while ago and spent ages looking through the ACER, SYSTEM and PQSERVICE partitions. Eeven inside WIM files and I COULD NOT FIND IT. I even tried RECUVA and a few other recovery systems to try and find a deleted one, but the only copy I found had been overwritten.

Hence my previous post asking for a copy of OEM19.inf.

I think it was created when I finally managed to boot back in after the factory restore after creating a new user.

Today I found an INTELGFX.log and that made interesting reading, it had one error.

[CopyFiles]
            New Uninstall Key = copyfile0
            Copy File Source = C:\VGA-3150\setup.exe
            Copy File Destination = C:\Windows\system32\igxpun.exe
            Copy File Source = C:\VGA-3150\difxapi.dll
            Copy File Destination = C:\Windows\system32\difxapi.dll
            Copy file error (5) on source = C:\VGA-3150\difxapi.dll. Trying again.
    !!!     ERROR 0x5: CopyFile generated an unexpected error.
            New Uninstall Key = copyfile1

The original drivers had come from ACER's website as a ZIP file and I extracted them to my USB stick.

difxapi.dll failed to copy from the USB and it also failed to copy from C: when I had copied all the files to C:

So I'm a bit confused?

I tried removing the "old" difxapi from System32 in SAFE mode but it would not let me.

So Mini XP and renamed it to OLD and copied over the "new" one to System32.

REBOOT - same issue, it just will not BOOT in NORMAL mode and loops.

DIFXAPI.DLL.jpg

New file from ACER 3150 drivers                             File that was still on System32

I have just downloaded a new ZIP from INTEL

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19494/Intel-Graphics-Media-Accelerator-3150-for-Windows-7-32-bit

And will try to install that from SAFE MODE (any thoughts?).