Acer Aspire ES1-512 graphics card problems

Options
henken88
henken88 Member Posts: 6 New User

Hi

I bought my Acer Aspire ES1-512 som months ago. I recently installed a game (HotS), and i cant seem to play it on any other video setting than the lowest. When i check the requirements against my system, im informed i need 256mb of video memory, but my computer only has 32mb of dedicated memory (1792mb available memory). I understand that the system supplies apps/programs with the needed memory, but it apparently doesnt give HotS what it needs. 

I thought i might update my graphics card driver, but i cant figure out which model it is. When i look at the graphics card properties window, it only says Intel(R) HD Graphics", and no model number.

I can not change my max dedicated video memory in bios either, as that is not included for this computer..

Thanks in advance

- Henrik

Edit: My question is obviously this:

1: Is there a way to increase the max dedicated video memory, and if so, how?

2: Where do i find what model my graphics card is, and what driver do i download?

I also found this post on the forum: http://community.acer.com/t5/Notebooks-Netbooks/Acer-Aspire-ES1-511-and-ES1-512-Video-Driver-Windows-7-32-bit/m-p/355578#M59807

Is this the driver for my graphics card?

Answers

• Felix_Aliaj
    Felix_Aliaj Member Posts: 8 New User
    Options

To find out which is your graphics card, go to Desktop then right-click on it, go to Screen Resolution, when the window will be opened, select Advanced Settings. There is all the information about your graphics card.

• henken88
    Options
    As I mentioned in my original post (poorly described), I've done this. No model-name comes up, only "Intel(R) HD Graphics". Thus my question number 2, is there another way to see which model it is?

I will upload a screenshot in a short while.
  • Felix_Aliaj
    Options

To find out your graphics card in an other way, go to "Run" and type "dxdiag.exe" without quotes and then go to '"Display", or go to "Search" and type "dxdiag" and make the same process. Hope that helped you.

• Felix_Aliaj
    Options

To download your graphics card driver go to this link: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect

• henken88
    Options

First of all, thank you so far Felix_Aliaj.

This is what i get from the detecting solution you presented in your first answer (left), and from the dxdiag.exe (right). As you can see there is nowhere given what model my graphics card is. The link provided in my orginal post, seems like some general driver, will that do the trick?

Uten navn.png

• Felix_Aliaj
    Options

I think that you should download the driver form this link: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect because is the official intel driver, and it's safer than the link you posted.

• henken88
    Options

I have already downloaded the Intel driver utility. It only states my graphics card and the driver is customized by the manufacturer (Acer), and I should contact their (your) support department.

Edit: This is the result from the Update Utility:

Uten navn.png

When i follow the link and go some further, i end up here. The window on the left is all i get when following the link saying "Need to know the hardware.." etc.Uten navn.png

• Felix_Aliaj
    Options

I don't think that your driver has  a problem. To change the settings of the game, just type these extensions to it's shortuct's target (space)-nomemrestriction(space)-norestrictions, or google it and you'll probably get a solution. I don't recommend to you to try the driver in the link that you've found, but you can try it if you want to. Best regards, Felix.

• henken88
    Options
    I too think the driver from the "unknown" person is a bit fishy. I read at a forum someone found a solution, only mentioning
    "-usepageflip". I searched for this on google, but found nothing that would help me with my problem. I will try to commands you posted. Other than that i have googled what i can imagine is relevant regarding dedicated memory etc..
  • henken88
    Options
    None of the commands you listed helped any.
    Is there no way of figuring out which graphics card my computer has?
  • Mik2600
    Mik2600 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

I found a fix around acers drivers. What you need to do is go into uninstall a porgram and uninstall the drivers. If you cant find drivers microsoft offers a free install on windows 10 even if you aready have windows 10. Then go to this site: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html and install the driver dedection - I just noticed that I have 64mb and not 32mb. I have the same laptop since I checked the BIOS.

Update:

I cant find a way to change the dedicated graphics memory. I have checked the bios but there is no option so there is no way to change it.

If the uninstall does not work go search device manager and press enter. Then look for display adapters. The driver will be under there.

If you install intel drivers then what it says is the driver you have. If it says the same thing then I think Intel(R) HD Graphics is 1st Gen.

• Mik2600
    Mik2600 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

Update:

I have found the link to a driver for the cpu: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25313/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-33-?product=79053

Update 2:

If it does not work go to acer's site for the laptop download the drivers.