Acer Aspire E5-571 BIOS update

Options
adrianp_ro
adrianp_ro Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2015 Archives

Hi

I have an Aspire E5-571 without pre-installed OS. I don't care about Windows - I am using Linux (Ubuntu).

There are some problems reported by the Linux kernel at boot (UEFI mode) an I was hoping that a BIOS update may solve some of them (ACPI issues and unclaimed hardware). May be very well the Linux kernel but I can't exclude BIOS either.

On the Downloads page, under BIOS tab, there are four current BIOS versions with brief and strange description: versions 1.08, 1.09, 1.11 and 1.24

IF (and only if) I decide to update BIOS, which version should I use? What are the real differences between versions (Release Notes)? Except Windows 8 hacks, is there any real "improved system performance" on other OS? What is BIOS (5.2MB versions) vs. VBIOS (13MB update)?

Thanks

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

BIOS updates are not straight related to an OS on improvement, so it can be good to flash it also if you use Linux based OS.

i would flash the latest 1.24

the difference on MB can be related to bigger changes on BIOS than previous versions, keep in mind that this are Windows only BIOS flashers.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • sathya0403
    Options

Hi,

If for system performance, you can flash the one here. But again any BIOS update in the website will be a EXE file which requires to be under Windows environment. Cheers.

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_1.24_A_A.zip?acerid=635548986534294852&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE E5-571&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

• adrianp_ro
    Options

Thank you both. I will give a try to version 1.24

Now I have to find a Windows shell able to run the executable.

Thanks again

• sathya0403
    Options
    I think you could try with Wine, But again, BIOS from Linux, I'm not sure how far will be successful, be prepared for anything. But I would rather install a windows OS & then update BIOS. Cheers.
  • adrianp_ro
    Options

Wine is unreliable.

And I won't say I will install an un-licensed copy of Windows because this is not a nice thing to do.

Regards

• alexis1234
    alexis1234 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Options

I've just bought an acer aspire e5-571 in german and i want to change the bios and all the aplication language to english. Is ti possible? How do i do it?

(SORRY, It is not a reply, i've open a new discuss)

• Easypeacyfroddo
    Easypeacyfroddo Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Good day. Please please help. My boaght my E5-571G pre-installed with win 8.1 (New ad without install disks). I did not take much note of the win 10 issue and very reasontly, when I accessed my laptop, win 10 was running. Surprized and all went well.....until I got a bluescreen mentioning a BIOS update. Well I downloaded the BIOS from acer.com and no easy sailing from there. I might just mention that I only today saw the notification that the BIOS should be updated BEFORE win 10 upgrade. I did not know this. I hope it is not the end of the road and an expensive paperwight on the desk? How can I rectify this. I do not have access to the laptop to do disable one or other zone and

the best I could do was to get the BIOS to 1.27 BUT if I let the laptop start up it keeps on telling me no bootable device-insert boot disk.....

Then if I go back to the F2 screen the HDD is frozen again and then the whole story starts again. I tried HIREN BCD but it boots up the laptop but if I go to the XP mini part it just gives a blue screen. If I take the DOS option it fails to load for some or other memory problem and NO program usable. I used Acronis and saw the HDD was partitioned in 4 parts marked recovery and what else. The one part where my files should be showed "not Formatted".

I know I already lost files. But before I lose my head please how can I do this and stay sane???? 

• eimtiyazahmad
    eimtiyazahmad Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hi everybody!
    I tried to update BIOS, after Update i got blank screen, probably BAD BIOS flashing, Now i am stuck with a same kind of situation in Acer Aspire E5-571-367V, i downloaded the latest BIOS from acer extracted to a clean USB drive, then i tried same plug in power cord + Fn + Esc then Power Button, CPU rotates at full RPM and attempt to read USB drive in a loop with a low power blinking of screen on every iteration with no success.

kindly help to understand the issue.