Acer Aspire E1-432: No sound on TV when using HDMI

Options
famscheedler
famscheedler Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

I recently bought the Acer Aspire E1-432. It runs Windows 8.1. When I use HDMI to watch movies on my TV, the sound is not played by the TV but by the notebook. I looked on the internet for solutions for this problem and encountered two recurring possibilities.

1) Go to sound manager, show disabled devices and select the HDMI as main audio output.

When I go to sound manager and try the above solution, I can not select anything but the default audio. It does not matter if I plugged in the HDMI cable or not nor does it help to select the HDMI source on the TV. The option does not appear in sound manager.

2) Update the HD realtek audio driver. 

I tried removing the driver and letting the notebook update the driver itself. Again it did not work. Secondly, I downloaded the newest version of the HD Realtek Audio Driver I could find (6.0.1.7027) and installed over the old version. Again, this did not work.

Can anybody come up with another solution, applicable on this type of laptop, that might do the job?

By the way, chromecast works fine, using the same HDMI port. The cable works as well, for a different laptop of mine is able to produce audio with the exact same cable and same HDMI port.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Answers

• Ryanrr
    Ryanrr Member Posts: 831 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

famscheedler,

You are on the right path and the first solution should have worked. When you go into Control Panel > Sound, then click HDMI and set as default audio. If this option is not available, then it is either a software issue or hardware as you have determined the cable is not the problem.

I would recommend backing up any data you have on the notebook, then use the built in recovery software to restore to factory defaults. Once this has been completed and before you perform any updates try connecting to your TV and see if the problem still persists.

Another possibility may be that you do not have the required sound codecs installed. I would look into what media player you are using and make sure all the required codecs are installed.

• vladdo
    vladdo Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Right, I had the same problem on my 0722 running Window 7.

When you go to my Manage Audio Devices (i.e. same as Sound etc found under Device Manager) it only listed the speakers for my netbook.

HOWEVER, when i right clicked at that point, I got the query - Display disabled device?  When I clicked on that sure enough my AMD HDMI option became visible.  It was "disabled" but when I clicked on that icon, I could then enable it.

The HDMI sound worked immediately - I did not have to reboot or anything.

What is really odd is that when I had used the system a year or so ago I did have HDMI sound and I DID NOT disable and hide it at any point.  My guess  is that one of the numerous helpful updates, maybe from Microsoft or somebody did both disable and hide the HDMI option.

Anyway, if you haven't already tried it - try this!

Good luck,

Vladdo