Acer Aspire E 15 start running 8.1 wont turn off wireless adapter on shutdown preventing net access

dr_feelgood
dr_feelgood Member Posts: 7 New User

I have also tried disconnecting from network and turning off wifi from the signal strength icon as well prior to shutdown.  When the adapter stays open when I return to the laptop and connect again it shows that i have been connected via the adapter for days at a time. This eventually leads to the connection being clogged up and causing timeouts preventing me from connecting to the net. I stopped ittwice  but dont know what I did. The problem is recurring. Is there a permanent fix?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

what do you do to shutdown your notebook?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • dr_feelgood

I had been just using the shutdown option but changed to shutting down the wifi/network to try and overcome the problem. This failed.

Chatted to a bloke at work who is a bit of a computer geek and he said after turning off WIFI and disconnecting from my network to use the control panel to get to the network and interenet settings. From there go to the network and sharing center, select the change adapter settings, select the WIFI adapter, right click and select the disable adapter option then shutdown as normal.  This works but you have to go through is all again when you next turn on the laptop to enable the Wifi adapter before reconnecting the WIFi and network.

There must be an easier way than this! Surely the Wifi adapter should turn itself off on shutdown.

• IronFly

without turning off the wifi, can you try to shutdown pressing windows key logo + x

select shut down and  click on shut down option.

this will force a complete shut down of your system, instead of hybrid shutdown.

then check about wifi.

• dr_feelgood

Cheers, will give it a try.

• dr_feelgood

tried the window button + x and still leaves wifi adapter on. Smiley Sad

• IronFly

Try this:

windows key logo + r

then type

shutdown.exe /s /f /t 00

press enter

or try this:

Disable fast startup via the Shutdown settings in Win8.1’s Power Options menu.

Open the Win8 Control Panel and click Hardware and Sound/Power Options/System Settings.

Scroll to the bottom of the dialog box and deselect Turn on fast startup.