Acer Aspire 7745g: is upgrading a disk to SSD possible?

bdubuc1969
bdubuc1969 Member Posts: 5 New User

Hello.

I have an Aspire 7745G laptop and I would like to upgrade the bootable drive to a SSD drive.  

The drive I'm thinking of is the Samsung EVO 850, SATA III compatible drive.  Would that be possible?  I think the laptop is SATA I only...

Thanks for confirming whether it will be possible or not.

Ben

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Easy to do. Remove the battery and the six screws and the HDD is exposed. The Samsung EVO 850 is a good pick. I use this a lot in 250GB.

2015-10-28_2035.jpg

If you want to use the second HDD slot there are two screws holding the cover. If it's not in there, you will need the HDD bracket. Acer part 2ND HDD BRACKET 33.PUM07.003

2015-10-28_2056.png

• bdubuc1969

Thanks for thé answer, but i already trier that ans i get à "invalid partition" error at boot time.  I did use thé Samsung software to clone the drive

When i go to thé BIOS setup, it seems that thé laptops knowsthe ssd drive is connected in slot 0 but gives no info on the drive.  That's why I was thinking it might be a sata version issue

Any hints on fixing the invalid partition table error, according the fact that the drive should be working in the 7745g Aspire laptop?

I upgraded my bios to version 1.15

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Make sure you don't have anything plugged in like a USB drive,card reader and Dvd drive empty em.

Go to Bios boot tab and set the Dvd and  ssd as 1st and 2nd boot device and see if it will boot.

• bdubuc1969

Hi there. The SSD was not recognized by drive bay 0 so out of desperation, and not really thinking it would work, I swapped the disks, having the SSD as disk 1 instead of disk 0. Surprise: the disk was then recognized, and by reordering boot sequence to Disk 1, then disk 0, it worked like a charm.

No clue why but now both drives are working and my SSD is the boot drive, just as I wanted.  

Thanks!