Acer Aspire 7741G Bluetooth problem

jonna
jonna Member Posts: 5 New User
edited September 2021 in Aspire Laptops

The bluetooth in my Acer Aspire 7741G doesn't work.

There is a label on my laptop that says "This device contains Bluetooth module Foxconn BCM92046", but there is no bluetooth listed in Settings > Devices. Acer's Hardware Vendor Detection app does not detect a bluetooth device either.

My OS is Windows 10.

I would maybe need to install a bluetooth driver, but which one?

The Acer product support site offers the following bluetooth drivers for my laptop:

- Bluetooth Driver (3.0)
Date: 2010/10/19
Version: 7.01.000.18
Vendor: Atheros

- Bluetooth Driver
Date: 2010/04/06
Version: 7.00.001.0
Vendor: Atheros

- Bluetooth Driver (3.0)
Date: 2010/10/19
Version: 6.3.0.6000
Vendor: Broadcom

- Bluetooth Driver
Date: 2010/04/06
Version: 6.3.0.3800
Vendor: Broadcom

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,444 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

I ask because your particular model has an removable BT module that's neither integrated with the WiFi adapter nor the mainboard. I understand your concerns about downloading and installing software. However, I think you have two choices. First, you could simply download the driver but not install it till you scan it with something like McAfee's Stinger. Stinger is standalone freeware that is very good and updated quite often. So good in fact that I've use it exclusively for years. Or second, for less than $5 with free shipping, you could buy a tiny USB CSR4.0 BT dongle with the latest BT3 technology on ebay or amazon. I chose the latter approach for my systems. Works extremely well compared to the older BT hardware versions. Jack E/NJ        

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE

None of those drivers are applicable to Win10. Google "foxconn BCM92046 bluetooth driver acer" "windows 10" with the quotes. If your module is actually installed, it should work. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• jonna

Thank you for your reply, Jack.

This is the only instance I was able to find, but I'm not sure if it is safe to download a driver from a random site:

http://windows-drivers-x05.blogspot.fi/2013/11/foxconn-bcm92046-bluetooth-driver-acer.html

• JackE

Have you ever used Bluetooth or otherwise known for a fact (not from an advertising label) that a Bluetooth module was installed AND functioning on this machine before Win10? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• jonna

I don't think the label is an advertising label. It's attached to the bottom of the laptop and it has all sorts of ID numbers and a barcode on it. There is another label similar to it for the WLAN module. Is there reason to suspect there is no bluetooth module installed despite the label? 

I have had the laptop since it was new, but I don't remember if I have ever used bluetooth on it so I can't confirm if it was installed and functioning before Win10. There is a Bluetooth Exchange Folder in my Documents folder, but it is empty.

• JackE
    Answer ✓

I ask because your particular model has an removable BT module that's neither integrated with the WiFi adapter nor the mainboard. I understand your concerns about downloading and installing software. However, I think you have two choices. First, you could simply download the driver but not install it till you scan it with something like McAfee's Stinger. Stinger is standalone freeware that is very good and updated quite often. So good in fact that I've use it exclusively for years. Or second, for less than $5 with free shipping, you could buy a tiny USB CSR4.0 BT dongle with the latest BT3 technology on ebay or amazon. I chose the latter approach for my systems. Works extremely well compared to the older BT hardware versions. Jack E/NJ        

Jack E/NJ

• jonna

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions and sorry for my late reply. 

Regarding downloading the driver without installing it, I'm not sure how to do that because it is not in a zip file. It is an .exe file that will start the installation directly on download.

So I guess the best solution is a USB dongle. 

Thanks for taking the time to solve this issue.

• JackE

>>>It is an .exe file >>>

Shouldn't matter. If you right click on the .exe file, you should be able to save it as a download exe file without actually running it. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• jonna

The download fails. It says "Failed - Forbidden".

• JackE

I just downloaded (right click & save target as) & scanned the file winDRV_99073.exe (3.5 MB) from the XO5 site you referred to previously. It seems to be clean. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• AbdulkadirHasimioglu
    AbdulkadirHasimioglu Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi Jonna,
    There is a button on left-bottom side of the keyboard that writes on it  Fn (means Function) and also, a button on top-left side of the keyboard which has Wi-Fi symbol on it: Press these two button together, after that you'll see the choices for closing and opening Wi-Fi and Bluetooth dongles; if the Bluetooth is on OFF position, take it to ON position.
  • pjl511
    pjl511 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Yip, same issue as jonna.
    Toggling Fn and Wi-Fi (F3) keys unfortunately does not open any dialogues to turn Wi-Fi or Bluetooth on or off.
    Any suggestions to discover this BT module?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,647 Trailblazer
    @pjl511 there are several different things that can affect WiFi and Bluetooth. Since this thread has been marked answered why don't you start a new thread for your issue. Include your full model number (7741G-xxxx if the same as the one in this thread), what you are seeing ans what you have tried so far. Maybe a screen shot or two showing the Device Manager areas for Network Adapters, USB Controller and USB Connection Managers...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.