Acer Aspire 772G-9829: Probable Overheating

Options
rssp55
rssp55 Member Posts: 4 New User

Good evening, folks.  I'm needing assistance.

I purchased my Acer Aspire 7726-9829 in August 2013 and haven't had any problems at all until a week and a half ago.  When running games, it appears my computer is heating up and experiencing a hard crash. (This only happens when running games.  Browsing the web or watching movies doesn't cause the problem.)

At first I thought it might be the power settings, so I picked up a new power supply and set my computer to 'high performance'. (Which fixed minor clipping issues.  The graphics now run perfectly for about five to ten minutes before the computer crashes.) 

Can anyone in the community point me to resources for purchasing and installing a replacement fan for this model?  I"ve already purchased a cooling pad, which I'm hoping will be enough to solve the problem.  The thing is, I like this computer quite a bit and don't want to have to sell it, so I'm also hoping a member of the community can help me with this information.

Thank you !

Best Answer

• rssp55
    Answer ✓
    Options

Okay, based on your suggestions and those of some friends I did a couple of things.  I used an air can to dust the vents and upgraded to Windows 8.1.

And, not to jump the gun, but I just played an hour of Batman: Arkham Origins without any crashes, so it appears that it helped.  My temperature topped out at 77 and is running between 35 and 45 degrees when doing normal activities.  According to the RealTemp monitoring, my thermal status is okay.

I'll keep this thread in my bookmarks in case I run into any other problems.  Thanks for the help.

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

Get a can of air  and blow out the intake grills on the bottom, the exaust grill on the side, and through from one grill to the other. Download: http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/ and monitor your temps. If it is shutting itself down because of overheating, it can't get rid of excess heat, the cooling fan is not working, the thermal paste on the CPU/GPU is not doing it's job anymore.

If it's clear of dirt/lint, etc. and the fan is working, it's probably the thermal paste.

Is the fan non operational? If you have to open it, here's a good video guide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-cpY-uA664

I found one fan for sale that will probably work.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA3AN19S1979

• laurent_14
    Options

Hello rssp55,

You'll find below the part number of the thermal module cpl for Aspire V3-772G:

60.M74N5.001 - THERMAL.MODULE..DIS.PGT.47W

France
  • rssp55
    Options

The fan is operational, and I'll get an air can and clean it to see if that fixes the problem.

If it turns out to be the thermal paste, is it possible to replace it?

• philetus
    Options

Yes you can do it. That's what the video is for in my last post is. A disassembly guide.

• rssp55
    Answer ✓
    Options

Okay, based on your suggestions and those of some friends I did a couple of things.  I used an air can to dust the vents and upgraded to Windows 8.1.

And, not to jump the gun, but I just played an hour of Batman: Arkham Origins without any crashes, so it appears that it helped.  My temperature topped out at 77 and is running between 35 and 45 degrees when doing normal activities.  According to the RealTemp monitoring, my thermal status is okay.

I'll keep this thread in my bookmarks in case I run into any other problems.  Thanks for the help.

• philetus
    Options
    Good deal, 77 is good
  • rssp55
    Options

Good to hear.  Once my cooling stand comes in next week, should be all set for the future too.

• oksygen
    oksygen Member Posts: 11 New User
    Options

Had the same problem... couldnt play any games .. it always crashed when overheated ( 100 celcius) , on idle in windows 8 always stayed ~50-60 celcius.. and was always throteled down  to 800MHz per core ..

Replaced thermal paste with T12 (industrial paste) and now with windows 8.1 in idle it is ~35-40 celcius, and always 3GHz per core..

Gaming is now finaly not frustrated .. because it does not overheat anymore and was 75-80 celcius max after 4 hours of game