Acer Aspire 7720-6569 - Sudden Shutdown; Power Icon Shows Full Charge & Plugged In.

VoxCLaMantis
VoxCLaMantis Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

My battery has not held more than about a 45-second charge since 2009; however, the AC adaptor seems to work fine, and the Power Management icon always tells me that I have a full (i.e., about 45-second) charge and that the AC adaptor is plugged in.  Today, just after I disabled the Acer Tour Reminder, CyberLink PlayMovie, and Microsoft Office OneNote (because I never use them and I wanted a faster startup), I moved some program icons that I didn't need or that were already on my Quick Launch tool bar into the Recycle Bin.  Suddenly, the notebook make sort of an electronic squeaking sound and immediately shut down--black screen; no lights.  

I unplugged it, checked to ensure the battery was properly seated, felt to make sure it did not feel hot anywhere, plugged it in, saw that the lights were showing on the adaptor and on the front left edge of the notebook, turned it on, and selected normal start; it started up again.  It ran for at least three minutes (which, because of the battery, it would not unless the AC adaptor was functioning) and then, after I moved a few more icons to the Recycle Bin, it suddenly shut down again in the same manner.  

I started it again and it has now been running long enough for me to look up my Acer Forum registration information and update it after resetting my password.  I am writing this on another notebook.  The Acer is still running, but I want to ensure it doesn't shut down on me when I am in the middle of a project.  Any idea why it did that?  

Answers

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator

Not sure why it shutdown unexpectedly on you. Does the system feel like it is getting too hot? I recommend monitoring the system. If you experience more shutdown events, you can try reloading the OS on the product. If that does not resolve the shutdown issues, then I would recommend contacting Acer in your region to inquire about repair service.

• VoxCLaMantis
    VoxCLaMantis Member Posts: 4 New User
    It never did feel like it was getting too hot; however, I found a video on YouTube by a guy whose daughter's laptop had a similar problem and, when he opened it up and cleaned the fan housing, the problem was solved.  I did that, found a wad of dust that looked like a felt pad, vacuumed the residue out, and found that it worked just fine until I could no longer find updates for its Vista operating system.  Now if someone could tell me how to upgrade from Vista to Windows 10, I would still be able to use the tough old Acer Aspire 7720-6569, which still runs like a champ but no longer can be updated because Microsoft has decreed that it become obsolete.