Acer Aspire 5942g black screen

DanW
DanW Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi Guys

I have an acer aspire 5942g. I turned it off one night, and went to turn it on the next day and now it won't boot up.

Doesn't show anything on the screen, the power light comes on, the keyboard back light turns on, the media controls are still useable and the bluetooth light is on solid, but the laptop doesn't display anything or seem to proceed any further as the bluetooth light would normally turn off (no bluetooth module in this laptop). 

I have tried the whole remove battery, hold power button down and just turn on with AC adapter plugged in with no effect. 

I've taken it apart and reseated the CPU and redid the thermal paste. However I did notice that the old thermal paste has gone onto some of the resistors on the top. Could this cause a short? 

It's almost like it's stuck in a sleep mode. 

Any suggestions would be highly helpful. I'm worried that the board is dead, but I can't find any replacements online.

Thanks,

Dan

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

Try powering up the laptop as if to normally boot. Do you hear any Windows welcoming tones as if the computer actually booted but with no display? If so, have you tried to simply toggle the screen on and off with the Fn+F5 or Fn+F6 key combinations?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Member Posts: 3 New User

thats it? I have same problem and I don't see any solution here. What good is this place if there is no solution?

• Member Posts: 3 New User

I will gladly throw this piece of s___ in the trash but I would like to get my data out of it. Can someone tell me how I might do that with a black screen?

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

Chooy---If you've tried the above keyboard toggle switches, have you also tried to HDMI out to an external TV to see if the graphics card is still OK? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ