Acer Aspire 5935G Display Driver Code 31

Rattle189
Rattle189 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Laptop hardware specifications:

BIOS: InsydeH2O Version V2.05

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     P7450  @ 2.13GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.1GHz

Memory: 4096MB RAM

Card name: Mobile Intel(R) 45 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1)

Chip type: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family

Display Memory: 1695 MB

Dedicated Memory: 64 MB

Shared Memory: 1631 MB

Hi,

I have a friend whom I've been assisting through TeamViewer to fix his laptop after he tried to install the NVIDIA drivers fo the NVIDIA GeForce GT 240M that's supposedly to be included in his laptop, according to the stickers on it.

I've linked him the drivers, but when he tried to install it his screen went black and the laptop froze, forcing him to restart the laptop, after he restarted the laptop it looks like the built-in Intel graphics driver has disappeared as well leaving him with 1024 x 768 resolution tops.

First I've tried this,

So, I've looked up the drivers for his specific laptop model and I've come across this site and at the Graphics Drivers part, we've tried to install the first one to try and get it back and running.

It did install normally and then it prompted him to restart, when he restarted, I've checked on Device Manager and there was something called a Standard VGA Display or something and it had a warning on it, stating the infamous Code 31 about the driver files. So I tried to update it but it stated that it was already up-to-date and after another restart, it still wouldn't work.

So, next is I tried installing it through legacy, did the restart and everything, and the code 31 error was still there.

I'm at a loss here, any ideas?

Best Answer

• Rattle189
    Answer ✓

Update: The problem has been resolved.

Solution: Boot into safe mode and start Device Manager then right-click the broken device and select [Update device driver] and then it should change its name, once restarted the graphics card will work and have the native resolution (in this case 1366 x 768).

Answers

• Rattle189

Update: I've downloaded the same drivers from the Intel website and installed it, it prompted for a restart and when it turned on the screen was on but the desktop background wasn't there nor the taskbar or icons but the cursor was. I could move the cursor around.

• Rattle189
    Answer ✓

Update: The problem has been resolved.

Solution: Boot into safe mode and start Device Manager then right-click the broken device and select [Update device driver] and then it should change its name, once restarted the graphics card will work and have the native resolution (in this case 1366 x 768).