Acer Aspire 5745 Power and Boot Problem

jmonk
jmonk Member Posts: 3 New User

I have an Acer Aspire 5745-5425 that when charger is plugged in to charge battery, laptop turns itself on, fan comes on, Bios screen loads, then it shuts right back off. Also has orange charging light on, that stays on. Unplug the battery charger and the laptop is dead in the water, Absolutely nothing. I was wondering if anyone might know what was going on with it Have even tried running just off the adapter, with the battery out. Nothing.

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

I guess you did, my mistake.

• philetus

I had posted that you hadn't mentioned running just off the adapter, but then I saw you did.

Test or have tested the charger. If it's defective and the battery is dead, you will get this behavior.

If you have another charger that puts out 19v and fits, try it.

• jmonk
    jmonk Member Posts: 3 New User

Actually was using the charger from my Acer Aspire 5733z-4633 on this computer, didn't have an adapter for this laptop. It won't turn on at all with power button, but as soon as I attach my adapter it powers on, without pressing the power button or anything, comes on for a few seconds and shuts back down

• philetus

If you have 2 memory dimms, try removing one and boot, then try the other one. Then disconnect the HDD and see if it will stay running.

If that doesn't work, you probably have a bad motherboard.