Acer Aspire 5742g won't turn on (see more in discription)

Options
Achilles
Achilles Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

i have gotten an Acer Aspire 5742G-373G32Mnkk that someone threw away. the hard drive is taken out of it. and now when i plug in a adapter connected to the wall socket, and i push the power button. i see the power button getting blue for 1 second and i also hear the fan inside going on for like a second and then it stops and won't go on. it does show a small orange light at the front what probably means it's charging. but i am not sure why it won't turn on. i am aware that it won't run windows or anything without the hard drive, but should it not turn on anyways and show me the BIOS screen? does anyone have an clue what i could do to make it work? maybe let the battery charge for a while and try then? maybe check if all the other things are in place? i am not sure what exactly i would need to check, and how for example the videocard would look like. i do know that the Ram is still in place.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options

Do you hear any BIOS beep error codes very soon after you turn it on? Try removing the battery and running on AC only to see what happens. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

Could be a problem with the display, have you tried connecting an extermal monitor to the VGA port ?

• Achilles
    Achilles Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

sorry for the late reply,

today we have tried to make it work again. we have tried with and without the battery. but strangely today the laptop actually started up for a few seconds over and over again when we tried. it shows us the big ACER logo on the screen and that we can press F2. we press F2 but nothing really happens as far as i can tell, also the laptop shutsdown after like 5/10 seconds when we turn it on. and this happens when the battery is still inside. when we take the battery out, the laptop won't start up it seems. the power on button quickly shows blue and then shutsdown. and this is all when connected to the adapter.

one time we managed to press F2 or something else happened, because then we got a black screen with white text, and one of the things said something like "PXE media cable blablabla" something about it not working or to check the cable. and something else started with PXE i believe. i did not get to see it for long because the laptop shut itself down. after that we didn't get to see this anymore when we turn the laptop on. just the acer logo and then the laptop shutting down.

it has asked to put a (recovery?) disc inside once or twice. atleast thats what my father told me that he saw.

besides all of this, we use a adapter from another laptop that is 1 Volt more then that the laptop wants. i think the adapters output that we use is 20 V and the laptop wants 19V. i am not sure if this is an huge issue? the difference of the A is not more than 0.50 A i believe maybe around 0.25 A. the orange light of the battery charging does light up when connected.

when we put the hard drive in, it does beep when starting up. when we take it out it doesn't i believe.

we believe that there is a issue with the power. because after around 10 seconds it just shuts down. something it turns itself on again and shuts down again. i can try connecting it to an external monitor that i have with the VGA output.but not sure if that will solve it? 

also on the back, we unscrewed this s-l300.jpg under it there was nothing. just some foil. i don't know if there should be something important under it. from my understanding its a cover for wifi something.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options

>>>when we put the hard drive in, it does beep when starting up. when we take it out it doesn't i believe.

we believe that there is a issue with the power. because after around 10 seconds it just shuts down. something it turns itself on again and shuts down again.>>>

Two questions. (1) Is there one long beep when the hard drive is in---a short beep---more than one beep---or some other beep sequence? (2) Does the machine still repeatedly cycle on & off whether or not the hard drive is connected?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ