Acer Aspire 5740-6491 upgrades, I need to start fresh and want to upgrade Memory and hard drive

Options
Filofilo
Filofilo Member Posts: 3 New User

I need some help to determine to most cost effective route to uprade.

Acers documentation is horific, so I hope someone can help me figure this out.

1) Memory the unit has 4Gig (2x2) and I was hoping to upgrade it to 8 or 16? but what is the limitation the hardware or Windows?  The laptop is runing windows 7 home premium 64 bit.  The laptop has 2 slots, do I need to use both or can I just use 1 slot with a single stick of DDR3 1333 PC3 10600?  is on stick faster then 2 sticks?

2) I want to install a new hard drive but the acer User manual says the laptop is only ATA 150? so I guess I would still be limited to a replacing it with a new 500GB hard drive.  If this is the case is there any advantage to using a SSD?  If so any recomondatrions would be helpful.

3) There is another slot in the the hard drive bay which there is no documentation (thanks Acer), I assume it is for maybe for SDD?  Can anyone help identify this slot and what it is for?

4) Windows, I want to install a fresh copy of windows 7,.  I assume I can down load a fresh copy of windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit off the web and use the key code on the bottom of the laptop?

Any help on the above plan wouyld be very helpful.

Thanks!