Acer Aspire 5738Z processor upgrades T9900 and T9600 did not work

THX1138
THX1138 Member Posts: 21 Troubleshooter
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I attempted to upgrade my T4200 processor with T9900 and then with T9600 since I read elsewhere on the Internet that they had worked for other people. When I did this and powered on the laptop came on but the screen remained off. After 5-10 seconds, the laptop seemed to turn off for a second or two and then turned back on and stayed on (with the screen off) until I pressed and held the power switch. I went back to the T4200 and the laptop is working as normal. I just wanted this information to be available to anyone who searches Google in the future. Maybe your experience will be different but this was mine.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer

Thanks for your results. I'd guess your current BIOS firmware version can't handle the CPUs. But I strongly advise against trying to flash the chip with a newer version. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• THX1138

Unfortunately, I already have the most up-to-date BIOS (v1.34) so I don't think that could have been the issue.

• JackE

>>>When I did this and powered on the laptop came on but the screen remained off>>>

Did you try to F2 into the menu with a black screen anyway? This sometimes sorta wakes up the BIOS to the change and the menu pops up like magic. And then if it does, F10 to save & exit usually fixes things on the next cold boot. Jack E/NJ     

Jack E/NJ

• THX1138

Thanks for the suggestion; I tried it with both processors and unfortunately it didn't work with either but it was worth a shot.

• JackE

So does this mean you're still up and running on the original CPU? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• THX1138

Right now the T9600 is still in the laptop but I will put the T4200 back in pretty soon. I'm not expecting problems since I've already swapped the processors back and forth a few times.