Acer Aspire 5735 DVD not reading burned disks

Options
slick1
slick1 Member Posts: 10 New User

Hi,

This machine seems to read everything except burned disks.

I have tried burning both Sony and TDK -R 4.7GB DVD's both slowly 2x and rapidly.

Also tried burning on different machines including the laptop. It seems to burn OK... just can't read what it's burned.

Only picked it up because I was going to upgrade to Win10 and had to burn a disk. Normally the laptop doesn't use any disks let alone burned ones... so it's a problem that has probably existed for a long time?

Anyone had the same problem?

:-)

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

since read and burn lenses are different, probably the problem was here time ago.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • slick1
    Options

The problem has almost certainly been there for a long time.

I eventually got it to work... but only by using a TDK DVD burned at 2x... and leaving it in the DVD reader for a long time (went away and did something else)... which gave it plenty of time to recognise the disk.

The TDK media is much darker (more AZO dye?) than the Sony media... which may have also helped?

Reflective media which has a different colour might also help (the Sony & TDK media being used is purple)... because the laser head will have certain frequencies of light it responds to better than others?

This is annoying as this has been a lightly used DVD drive (does any laptop DVD get a lot of use?).

It was hard to diagnose as it works on some media but not others.

Has anyone else had the same problem?

• IronFly
    Options

DVD drives can have some compatibility issues on reading medias not supported, i would check if any firmware is available for your specific DVD model.

a google search can help you find if any update is available, this can fix some issues and add some media models to compatibility list.

• slick1
    Options

That seems to only work for normal DVD burners?

Never seen a firmware upgrade for a laptop DVD/CD?

Plus every other 5735 owner would be reporting the same problem if it was a firmware issue?

• IronFly
    Options

there are firmwares for laptop dvd/cd burners too, about others reporting.....yes and no, maybe they never used the write function or few sent it to repair and not reporting.