Acer Aspire 5733Z-4505 wifi

skasbaum
skasbaum Member Posts: 3 New User

I have a Acer Asprie 5733Z-4505 laptop, recently the hard drive failed and I had a new solid state hard drive installed (boots up qiuck). But now I'm having trouble with my wifi connection.  If I dont have the laptop right next to my wireless router I won't stay connected.  If I go upstairs or downstairs my phone and tablet stay connected but the laptop wont. I didn't have this problem until the new hard drive was installed. Any suggestions as to what might be the problem?

Answers

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer

Hello, I am sorry your having problems with your system. I am sorry I over looked your question and wonder if you found out what the Problem was?

I am wondering if when the system was taken apart if by change did the Antenna wires come un done from your Wireless card?

I don't know your system first hand. I know that a few that I have had to take apart needed to be taken apart to the point that if not careful damage could happen to the Wifi Wires along with others.....

If your system is the same type where you have to take loads off to make this HDD Swap it could be that the WIFI wires were damaged but with any HOPE maybe they were just un plugged from the card?

If you were the one that took it apart I would say take it apart again and look over the system that something wasn't left unplugged. and Worse case that your wires didn't get damnaged 

James

• skasbaum

Revomax/James - Thanks for the reply, it's interesting you mention the antenna.  I had the hard drive installed by an outside vendor so I went back there a few days ago to let him know about my wifi problem.  He took the back panel off and there's a new hard drive and next to it the wireless card, but the card only had one anntenna connected, the other connection point is bare (no antenna).  Now I was talking with the manager when we discovered this and before he took off the panel he even mentioned that there's two antenna wires that are routed internally around the outside case of the laptop.  We did an update on the wifi drivers and I haven't had a chance to check it out yet but it seems to me I'm down one antenna wire.  I'm sure he had one of his tech's install the hard drive so who knows what happened.  I did ask about adding the second antenna but he wasn't too keen on it as he made it sound like there's a lot if disassebly to be done to route it inside the laptop.  I'll be able to check my wifi reception on Monday but it looks like I may have to have another conversation with him.

• RevoMaxx

Well looking over the Web I found a Video of your system. It looks like in your system you only have 1 Ant Wire connected on the Wifi card. I am not 100% sure but what is what it looks like to me. It was connected on the side close to the front of the system.....

In your system you can access your HDD from a Panel that is on the bottm front by removing 2 screws. There is then access to your Wifi card, HDD and Ram under that... So in your case you don't have to go though the pain of taking your whole system apart to get to things like you do on a few of my Laptops lol... 

It could be if yours was made with only 1 wire for the Antenna lead. They may have not had it connected and when they opened it up maybe they made a fast click back in... I don't know as it is hard to say what may have happened. I know that on my Desktop it will work close to the router without the Antennas connected. I don't think it is a good idea to have them running that way.. I know that the Bluetooth on the Desktop system will connect to what you want it to. However it won't work very far away an if your using headphones it will sound like the sound is under water unless the mast is attached.... 

Last thing. I don't know but I wonder if maybe there is a issue with the SSD? I know that if you were able to have an extra HDD around and had it connected and you had good Wifi but then with the SSD bad wifi. it would tell me that it is interfering with wifi... I don't know if it is even possible. I know that wifi and other wireless things can interfer with things and even have laws on how much they are able to by the FCC. Sometimes it is the guesses that make things right

James

• RevoMaxx

Looking over some other people that have had some issues with WIFI after HDD install, Some thought same as I that maybe the SSD was the blame and while the one I was reading was dated back in 2013 the way they were able to solve the issue was with a UN Install of the driver and then a new Install of the driver....

They even took the old Drive and put it back in the system and it was still not working as it should or as it did before the install...... So they tried to instll the driver again over the old one and didn't give better results it wasn't until they removed the old driver and installed it again that it worked for them....

They then took the NEW SSD drive and installed it again. Testesd bad range again. So Removed the driver and Installed the driver again and it works as it did once again...

That may be something to try if nothing else works....

James

• skasbaum

I appreciate your time and effort to look up information on my system, you are correct in that I can access the hard drive, wifi card and ram by just removing two screws on the back of the laptop. It's interesting that there's only one antenna wire hooked up to the wifi card, I wonder why Acer would do that?  I was able to finally test my laptop and the wifi reception does appear to be stronger, I can see my home network as well as my neighbors (which is how it was before I replaced the hard drive).  But I still have trouble with it dropping out even though the signal is relatively strong.  I don't have that problem with my tablet or phone or my wife's work laptop.  The shop manager thought it could be my router but the other devices don't seem to have a problem.  I believe updating the wifi drivers helped; I'll keep working with, if it becomes unbearable then a new laptop may be in order.   

• rusabiko
    rusabiko Member Posts: 1 New User

my aspire 5733Z has got no ethenet and network adapter drivers i would like to have your help on this.