Acer Aspire 5560G Shutdown/Reboot Issue

thomdalladay
thomdalladay Member Posts: 4 New User

Hello,

I recently purchased an Acer Aspire 5560G-63424G50Mnkk.  I've made three updates to it: Replacing the 500GB HDD with a 128GB M.2 NGFF SSD (in an M.2 NGFF to 2.5" converter caddy), the 500GB in an optical HDD caddy, replacing the optical drive and installed Windows 8.

The problem I'm experiencing is whenever I have updates, or need to shutdown or reboot the machine, it goes through the shutdown/restart screen, then the screen deactivates and the system remains powered on.  My BIOS version is 1.15 (the latest as far as I'm aware); the machine boots up just fine too.

Any ideas what might be causing this, and how I can resolve it?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

have yo tried to disable fast startup?

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6320-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-8-a.html

that kind of issue normally happens when a service or programm hangs or the power management has something wrong.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • thomdalladay
    thomdalladay Member Posts: 4 New User

I'll give that a go - having to do a complete reinstall now, as the system freezes on the Windows loading screen, consistently (same with the repair option).  Quite irksome!

• Goedhals
    Goedhals Member Posts: 5 New User

Hi Thom,

I know it's been awhile since you posted your problem (and maybe you already solved it) but anway. I've had the same problem with the almost the same laptop and solved it. Mine is a 5560G-63428G75MN

The problem on mine is poor UEFI implementation of Phoenix Secure Tiano BIOS in combination with GPT-partitioning. What you have to do is remove all partitions (INCLUDING BOOT PARTITION!) which were created by your clean Win 8 (or 8.1 by now) install. After that F2 into BIOS and set it to Default Settings, Save and Exit. Reboot and only then do a new install but this time FORCING the use of MBR instead GPT. Et voila, you're done.

Hope that it helps you and others with the same problem.

Nick