Acer Aspire 5560 g bios boot menu problem

Options
romageo
romageo Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi guys. I've Acer Aspire 5560g a8 3500m . I can't enter bios boot menu and windows. Notebook doing self restart. 

watch video on youtube

Please help...

Answers

• ronap
    ronap Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options

Seems to be exactly my problem also. Mine resulted from failure of a hard drive with win 8.1 installed in ueif mode. Need some way to reset the bios. With a DT I would simply remove the bios battery or short across the rest terminals. How do I handle this with a laptop?

• romageo
    romageo Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

how remove bios battery?  Do you think might be the bios chip EEPHROM?

• ronap
    ronap Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options

I have the same problem with an Acer Aspire 5560-Sb613. Removing the battery has no effect ( the UEFI BIOS emulator is apparently in flash memory)! Was left this way after a hard drive failure with Win 10 installed in secure mode. It is now impossible to install any OS on the laptop or using another computer to install to a HD with a Win OS in secure mode or otherwise. I had previously installed win 8.1 not in secure mode to a new disk and transfered the disk to the laptop with no problem. 

The laptop now appears to be completely unserviceable! It won't recognize a HD even with Windows installed in secure mode. The system cycles endlessly thru the 'bios' screen, queries the drive, and reboots to the 'bios' screen. The system doesn't respond to f2, f12 or any attempt to enter the bios. Apparently a HD failure with win installed in secure mode has left the bios unreachable. I had hoped an Acer Tech would have responded to this thread by now with a solution. Otherwise the laptop may be headed for a landfill!

• mrdoubleb
    mrdoubleb Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hi everyone,

Had the exact same problem as I was trying to upgrade my best friend's 5560G. Drove me nuts, but I've managed to resolve it. That's the good news. The bad news is i do not remember every single step, but you may still be able to replicate what i did.

So I tried creating a Windows 10 installer flash drive using the official MS tool, but that didn't work, still could not get into the Troubleshoot menu on boot.

Here is waht worked for me: Burn a Windows 8(or 8.1) installer to a DVD. That's right, good old fashioned DVD install disk. Using F12, boot form that disk. Note, it took me 2 tries to get that to work. Once you are there, get into the troubeshooting menu. Here is where my memories get fuzzy (it was about 3am and i have been trying to resolve this for hours, on a weekday, clicked through everything at least once already...).

When you get into the troubleshooting menu as you boot into the Windows 8 installer disc try to find the option where you can reviwe your Windows 8 installation. Now i don't remember if it was in the "reset your PC" option or I found it somewhere else, but the screen offered to reset to Windows 8 or Windows 10 - almsot if it was a dual boot machine, which it wasn't.

By now, i have also tried doing a clean install on another HDD to keep the Win 8 install safe, but got similar problems. I was able to complete the install, even got the AMD drivers (newest for Win 10 64bit right from AMD's site) and the SD card drivers (Acer's win 8 64 bit drivers work fine) installed, but upon the 2nd or 3rd reboot the computer got stuck during booting (when the dots start to go around in a circle) and after 2-3 retries even the BIOS options went away - could not even get into the BIOS. Only way to resolve it was to put back the Win 8 HDD.

From what I read so far it seems to be a problem with Windows 10 and Acer's buggy UEFI implementation. If you try to install Win 10 on a UEFI device, it will demand that the hard drive is in the GPT format over traditional MBR. However, if you go GPT, Acer's ***** BIOS/UEFI will cause issues like unable to restart or completely shut down (you have to hold down the power button each time). The soulution would be to set the BIOS to "legacy BIOS" mode from "UEFI", but unfortunatley the 5560G BIOS does not offer that option. I have a feeling this is alsow hat's causing issues with the Win 10 install, but there is no way Acer will release a BIOS update for this laptop. (Ours was in v 1.15 already).