Acer Aspire 5536 blank screen

Options
rightvlogs
rightvlogs Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hello there, i have an old acer aspire 5536, and when i try to boot it, the led lights come on and it says that it is charging, but the screen stays blank. The fan spins for about 5 seconds and then just stops. If i click caps lock, then the caps lock indicator light at the top of the laptop doesnt respond. Also the dvd drive does work if i try to put a disk in it. I have tried loads of things to get it to work, like pressing and holding the power button for ages, flashing the bios (although when i did this i didnt get a .fd file with the zip but i just put it on my usb stick, press and held Fn+Esc but no luck) and i even tried bending it around the keyboard. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KzJngsujk0           apparently it works but not for me) i also read that this is a type of laptop that requires the CMOS battery in order to boot, so i dissassembled it and replaced it with another one but that also didnt work. Whilst it was dissassembled i cleaned it all out with a brush, reassembled it but no change. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance Smiley Wink

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,563 Trailblazer
    Options

>>>i just put it on my usb stick, press and held Fn+Esc but no luck) and i even tried bending it around the keyboard.>>>

A "blank" screen that's lit? Or a "black" screen that's unlit? Do you see an ACER logo screen on booting? Have you tried to HDMI out to a TV screen? How did you bend a USB stick around the keyboard? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• rightvlogs
    Options

hello, i see a black screen which is not powered at all, no backlight or acer logo. tried hdmi output but no luck. also i meant if you bend the actual laptop itself it supposedly will reseat a flat cable that was dissconnected, but also no luck. Im pretty sure its just an old laptop on its way out but if you do have any ideas to fix it that would be great

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,563 Trailblazer
    Options

>>>i meant if you bend the actual laptop itself it supposedly will reseat a flat cable>>>tried hdmi output but no luck

Heh-heh. Never heard of that kinda fix before. If you unsuccessfully tried to turn the lid and HDMI TV screens on with the Fn+F5 or Fn+F6 toggle key combos, and the original BIOS firmware wasn't altered, then it's likely the integrated graphics adapter has failed---aka the mainboard.   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• rightvlogs
    Options

ah well, thats what i suspected but thanks for your help anyway, ill probably just turn the hdd into a usb flash storage to save all the data and just use it as spares for other things. Thanks for your help