Acer Aspire 5532 Laptop Installing Factory OE Webcam Into The Monitor Screen

aferraro21
aferraro21 Member Posts: 37 Die Hard WiFi Icon

My Acer Aspire 5532 laptop is still running strong.  With a SSD, a TL-66 Turion, 8gb ram, and Windows 10 upgrade, this 7 year old machine still gets the job done, and is just as quick as my dad's new surface in many ways.

I've been wanting to have a webcam on my laptop for awhile for work purposes, as well as the ability to Skype with family members who live in other states (and who do not have apple devices to facetime).  Since these laptops only have 2 usb ports, and I use one of them already for an external wireless mouse, getting a USB webcam wasn't an option I wanted to pursue.

I want to let people know who are looking for information, that you CAN install a factory original webcam pretty easily on your aspire 5532 laptop.  Since the aspire 5517, eMachines 525, 625, and 627 are all basically the same computers, I would be willing to bet this upgrade would work on those computers as well.  However, I'm only able to confirm that this upgrade worked on a 5532 computer that did not have a webcam or a montior cable with a plug to include a webcam.

The parts needed will be the monitor cable DC020000Y00, and the camera itself PK400002H50.  I found it easiest to source these parts on eBay, which I did for under $12 after shipping.  Also note, check behind your screen/montior cover before purchasing the DC020000Y00 cable, I've seen some of these machines with the correct cable already installed, even though it doesn't have the camera.  Which in that case, all you need to do is purchase the camera with the part number I listed above.

There are 4 screws in each corner that hold the cover and screen in place, and you'll also need to pull up the speaker/power button cover (which snaps in).  The small piece of plastic that covers where the camera lens needs to show is held by some adheasive, and can be pressed out from the inside when you pull that cover/bezzel off.  Take your time removing and installing the new plugs/wires/clips.  These are delicate parts, and if you rush or force something, you could potentially really damage your machine.  Aside from that, with only a basic correct size phillips screwdriver and a small flathead screwdriver, I had my factory camera installed in under 15 minutes.

Enjoy your webcam, and not needing to waste another USB port!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,432 Trailblazer

Thanks for the info. USB extenders are also an option for folks to consider.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ