Acer Aspire 5100 - Black screen, want to flash Bios, need .fd-File?

Options
Basinator
Basinator Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hiho!

My laptop isnt turning on the screen at all, external one didn't work either. I want to flash the bios, but I can't get to anywhere when I can't even reach the bios/post etc.

Now I found this guide to flash the bios without seemingly having to have a picture on my screen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OkAwxcJ1Ms

Issue is that I need the .fd file for this to work. But the download doesn't contain such a file:

Some other notes; RAM I got it with is prob defunct, but I inserted RAM from another Laptop of mine which I know of that it is working. No HDD installed. Also read about exchange the CMOS battery, but I can't locate it yet.

Wasn't really able to get the MoBo out of it, albeit I can see most of it (some bus cables are connected and are prob stopping me from removing it).

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,554 Trailblazer
    Options

>>>My laptop isnt turning on the screen at all, external one didn't work either.>>>

Did you try to turn the screen on with the Fn+F6 toggle key combo? How did you connect an external monitor? Did you try to turn the external monitor on with the Fn+F5 combo? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Basinator
    Basinator Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

By VGA. What do FN + F5/F6 do?

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,554 Trailblazer
    Options

Fn+F6 toggle combo turns the lid screen on & off. Fn+F5 toggle combo switches between the VGA & lid screens. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ