Acer Aspire 4752 - BIOS progress bar stuck at about 75%

NguyenTrung
NguyenTrung Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

Hi, I have an laptop Acer Aspire 4752 installed Windows 8.1 x64 Enterprise Evaluation:

Intel Core i3-2350M
BIOS Phoenix  with UEFI is enabled  
HDD WD5000BPVT used GPT
BIOS password is enabled, HDD password is enabled

I had not access BIOS so I changed msconfig and then I removed CMOS pin. After that the laptop stopped when I pressed power button at Acer logo and progress bar going to 75%. I pressed F2 but nothing happened. That screen look like image below. Regrettable Decision I have ever made is not readed guider: Accessing the UEFI (BIOS) setup on a Windows 8 / 8.1 system

Please help me!

original.jpg

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,469 Trailblazer

Have you tried repeatedly pressing F2 *immediately* after powering on and before the Acer logo screen appears?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• NguyenTrung

Tinkerer

I have tried repeatedly pressing F2 after powering, keeping F2 and pressing power button but my laptop didn't pass Acer logo. I also tried flash BIOS by USB. I copied DOS folder of BIOS flash application from website, hold FN + ESC and pressed power button then I had black screen. After I restarted by power button my laptop was stuck at BIOS progress bar. Last I tried before I posted Acer Community, I used Low Level Format Tool but I already stopped after getting HDD information:

Current date and time: 2015-03-27 21:20:54
    Hard Disk Low Level Format Tool 2.36 build 1181;hddguru.com
    Device details for WDC WD5000BPVT-22HXZT3 01.01A01 [500.1 Gbytes]

Model: WDC WD5000BPVT-22HXZT3
    Firmware Revision: 01.01A01
    Serial Number: WD-WXL1E91WSPM4
    Buffer size: 8388.6 Kbytes

PHYSICAL PARAMETERS:
    LBA mode is supported
    LBA-48 mode is supported
    Sectors available with LBA commands: 268,435,455
    Sectors available with LBA48 commands: 976,773,168
    Full device capacity: 500,107,862,016 bytes

SECURITY:
    Security features is supported
    The drive is currently LOCKED
    Security level: High
    Device needs either USER or MASTER password to be unlocked.

FEATURES:
    SMART is supported
    HPA (Host-protected area) is supported
    AAM (Automatic acoustic management) is not supported
    Streaming feature set is not supported

QUEUING:
    Command Queuing is supported by the device
    Maximum Queue Depth: 32

Other information, I have BIOS password, HDD password and Windows password but I can not use them

[edited to comply with guidelines]

• JackE

Remove battery and AC supply. Remove CMOS jumper again. Press and hold power button for at least a minute. Wait several hours before replacing jumper. Then try re-entering bios menu by pressing F2 immediately after powering up. Report back with results. Thanks

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• NguyenTrung

Tinkerer

My laptop mainboard is JE40 HR MB 10267-4. I search google that reset jump is G2201 but I only find G2101. I photo shoot my mainboard and post below. What can i do?

main.jpg

• JackE

Can you find the CMOS button cell on the MB?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• NguyenTrung

Tinkerer

Sorry about my English. I have been confused button cell and jumper.

I have removed battery and AC supply and CMOS button cell, pressed and hold power button for several minutes, waited several hours before insert CMOS button cell. And then I powed up laptop and pressed F2 immediately. Result is not different. Screen like image below:

logo.jpg

• JackE

Please remove battery, AC power and CMOS button cell again.

Then, if you still can't find G2201 pins, short out button cell connectors directly on motherboard with a short length of wire for several minutes to hopefully force reset of bios chip to factory default. Thanks

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• NguyenTrung

Tinkerer

I have removed battery, AC power and CMOS button cell. After that, I used screwdriver to short button cell connector for several minutes and then inserted CMOS button cell to connector. Last, I turned on laptop. It takes several times to turn off automatically. When it is not turning off automatically, it was stuck like it's on yesterday.

• JackE

Please disconnect hard drive.

Then try to force entry into bios menu with disconnected hard drive. Start to press F2 immediately after powering on and before the Acer logo appears.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• NguyenTrung

Tinkerer

I had disconnected hard drive, turned on and pressed F2 immediately. It was stuck like it's on yesterday. Some days before, I had holded F2 and turned on but result is same it's on today.

• JackE

Can you try to flash the bios again but with the hard drive still disconnected?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• NguyenTrung

Tinkerer

I have tried flash the bios with the hard drive still disconnected. But result is not different. That technology  is too modern for me. Please help me!

• JackE

Please try to reflash with hard drive disconnected but also with the DVD drive door open. Remove battery and AC power. Insert flash bios USB drive. Press and hold power button for a minute or so. Then press and hold Fn+Esc. Then plug in AC power while still holding Fn+Esc. Then, while still holding Fn+Esc, press power button. Don't release Fn+Esc for 60secs. Do not shut machine off till USB activity light stops.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• NguyenTrung

Tinkerer

I had formated USB using FAT, copy contents of DOS folder of file BIOS_Acer_1.24_A_A.zip. Then I had removed hard disk, opended DVD door, remove battery and AC power. I had inserted flash bios USB drive. Then I  had pressed and holded Fn+Esc, pluged in AC power. While I still holded Fn+Esc, I pressed power button and released Fn+Esc after 60 secs. Now machine is running with power lights being on (charger lights being off, disk lights being off, wifi lights being off) and screen have only black. Might I restarted my laptop?

• JackE

Your flash utility is set to run on a bootable USB. Please copy all DOS directory unzipped files into the root directory of your bootable USB drive. Insert USB drive. Then replace battery and AC power but still with disconnected hard disk and open DVD drive door. Power up. Does USB boot machine? If yes, enter flash.bat to flash bios. If no, rename JE40124.rom to JE40124.fd on USB drive. Then insert USB drive. Press and hold Fn+Esc while powering on. Continue to press and hold Fn+Esc until USB activity light stops.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• NguyenTrung

Tinkerer

I used Rufus to create bootable USB:

refus.JPG

After copying flash BIOS in DOS, I created copying JE40124.rom and renamed it to JE40124.fd:

usb.JPG

I inserted USB drive, replaced battery and AC power, removed hard disk and opened DVD drive door. Connected AC power, holded Fn+Esc and powered up. The HDD lights had been blinking for 6 times and less than 30 seconds. After that HDD lights had not been blinking. The screen color was alway black.

• JackE

OK. Let's try this. Rename JE40124.fd back to JE40124.rom on the bootable USB. Then try to boot the machine with the bootable USB without the HDD and the DVD door open. Since you have a black screen, allow at least 5 minutes for the boot process to hopefully complete. Then carefully enter "flash" from the keyboard to hopefully flash the bios. If the USB activity light blinks, wait until it stops. Then press Ctrl-Alt-Del to re-start and hopefully see a screen.

Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• NguyenTrung

Tinkerer

I used bootable USB with JE40124.rom to flash. Booted the machine with the bootable USB without the HDD and the DVD door open. After that screen color was black in 30 mins. I restarted by power button and have stuck when BIOS progress bar going to 75%

• JackE

Did you enter "flash" from the keyboard without the quotes?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• NguyenTrung

Tinkerer

Do you mean I might enter characters: "f" + "l" + "a" + "s" + "h"?