Acer Aspire 3410 - power problem

lubostt225
lubostt225 Member Posts: 7 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Dear community,

I have a problem with my notebook. I cannot turn it on, without the power cord in , because it instatntly turns off. The problem is when I try to charge it it keeps displaying 0% remaining , charging. I bought a new 9 cell battery but the problem is the same.  I also tried upgrading to newest BIOS version but no help. I also tried taking the main battery and CMOS battery out and let it sit for a night , also pressed the power button for 60 seconds, but no success. I also tried This :

1. Shut Down your laptop, then plug-off the power adapter, and then remove the battery from your laptop.
2. Now, keep the Power button on your laptop gently pressed for around 40 seconds.
3. Reconnect the power adapter without inserting the battery.
4. Power On the laptop.
5. Once you are into Windows, Shut it down again.
6. Now, remove the power adapter, then reseat the battery, then reconnect the power adapter, and then reboot again.
No success.What should I do?

Thank you

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer

>>>I also tried upgrading to newest BIOS version >>>

Four questions. (1) What ACER site did you use for this BIOS firmware? (2) What Windows version is on now on the machine? (3) What was the factory-installed Windows version? (4) Did this issue happen suddenly? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• lubostt225

1. I used this site : www.acer.com

2. Windows Home Premium

3.Windows Home Premium

4. Yes

• JackE

Sorry I don't find the Aspire 3410 on that link? Are you sure about the model number? Win7 Home Premium? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• lubostt225

https://www.acer.com/ac/cs/CZ/content/support-product/1200?b=1 

you need to expand BIOS/Firmware column

• JackE

Sorry the link re-directed me to US site since I'm US-based. However, based on what you've already tried, the only quick way to ***help*** rule out a hardware issue is to try to restore the system from a restore point that immediately precedes the date when you think this issue started. Search Control Panel for "restore point" to see what dates might be available. You might have to click the box to show more restore points that should have been automatically created by Win7update. You should backup your existing configuration before doing this. 

If you don't find any useful restore points, then your only other choice is to try to  re-set the machine to factory-delivered Win7 state using the ALT+F10 coldboot eRecovery method. While this kind of recovery has the option of saving your data, it would require re-doing all the Win7 updates since you got the machine---a perhaps lengthy process---and re-installing all software since you bought the machine.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• lubostt225

Thank you very much for your advice. However, I have to note that the issue started after I was using the notebook a longer period of time without the battery, only on AC power cord. After I wanted to insert the battery again after some time, it started doing these problems that Ive described. Even new battery does the same 0% remainig, charging. Maybe it has something to do with the problem

• JackE

>>>Even new battery does the same 0% remainig, charging.>>>

Two questions: (1) What is the charger's output voltage at its plug? (2) Is the battery indicator LED on the laptop blinking or  steady orange? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• lubostt225

1. 19V 3,42A

2. It is steady orange, but it does not always shows the orange steady light. Sometimes it shows nothing, sometimes it shines. I do not know why.

• JackE

>>>1. 19V 3,42A>>> It is steady orange, but it does not always shows the orange steady light. Sometimes it shows nothing,>>>

Did you actually measure 19v at the plug with a multimeter? Move the wires and plugs around to see if it loses voltage due to an intermittent connection problem. If the battery indicator LED on the computer ***sometimes shows nothing*** when plugged in, then I suspect the charger, its plug, its wires or the computer jack itself may have an intermittent connection break. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• lubostt225

No, when measuring output voltage of the charger it shows about 0,487V instead of 19V. On the other hand I do not think the charger is faulty because I can use the laptop when the charger is in so I do not know. I have an update. I have the same model of Acer aspire notebook. Today I changed the whole MotherBoard, did not help. I also changed the whole battery jack and cabling, did not work. THere is nothing else to change that is associated to the battery problem. What should I try next?

• lubostt225

The output I measerued was 0,745 V instead of 19V. I do not think the charger is faulty because I can use the laptop while plugged in. I have an update. TOday I changed the whole MotherBoard, and cabling to the battery, also the charger jack but no success. The error is the same. What should I do next?

• JackE

>>> have to note that the issue started after I was using the notebook a longer period of time without the battery, only on AC power cord.>>>

>>>when measuring output voltage of the charger it shows about 0,487V instead of 19V. On the other hand I do not think the charger is faulty because I can use the laptop when the charger is in so I do not know.>>>

>>>The output I measured was 0,745 V instead of 19V. I do not think the charger is faulty because I can use the laptop while plugged in.>>>

Remove the battery again. Does the laptop still turn on now without the battery? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

This is the type of problem where BatteryInfoView from Nirsoft is very handy. Tells a lot about that the computer thinks it is doing with the battery and why.