Acer 6935G

Options
johnj
johnj Member Posts: 18 New User

I have an Acer 6935G. It came preloaded out of the box with Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit installed on a "D" recovery partition. I bought Windows 8 Pro and deleted the "D" partition, so that I had only the service partion/s and installed Windows 8 Pro 64 bit on the "C" partition. I then got the upgrade to Windows 8.1 Pro, which installed with no problems. I then got notification to install Windows 10 Pro, which I did and it ran ok. Then when I booted up my computer after installing both Windows 8, Pro & Windows 10 Pro, I had to reset the taskbar clock everytime I booted up, unless I left the mains power to the computer connected. Now my computer when I bootup up it restarts 3 times before I can use Windows. Even then if I stop using my computer for a couple of minutes it restarts, but if I"m streaming live video from the internet it keeps running and does not restart. I'd appreciate advice on how to repartition ,so that I have a "C" & "D" recovry partition. Then is it advisable to reinstall Windows 8 Pro and then Windows 8.1 Pro and then Windows 10 Pro on the "D"partition to see if it fixes my restart problems.

Any advice will be gratefully appreciated.

johnj 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,593 Trailblazer
    Options

How did you manipulate the partitions? Do you still have a D drive? Did you upgrade to Win8 Pro from WinVista?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• johnj
    Options

hello Jack, this is what I did. I bought Windows 8 Pro, when it first came out and was on offer. I put it in my DVD drive and ran Setup.exe I then did custom install and dlelted the "D"partition, so expanding the "C"partition. So now I have as the below shows. Hope this explains and thankyou for your help.

IMAG0081-1.jpg

• JackE
    Options

>>>I then got notification to install Windows 10 Pro, which I did and it ran ok. Then when I booted up my computer after installing both Windows 8, Pro & Windows 10 Pro, I had to reset the taskbar clock everytime I booted up, unless I left the mains power to the computer connected. >>>

Did you install a Win10ProPreview version or a Win10 production version? If it was a Win10 production version and it ran OK, does this mean that you then tried to install Win8Pro again?

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• johnj
    Options

Hi, no I didn't install a preview version. Just did the upgrade notification that all windows 7 & 8.1 users received. I also downloaded a mediacreation tool for windows 10 Pro and installed it on a usb stick. I did try to go back to basics, as i thought and reinstall windows 8 Pro, with the intention of starting with windows 8 Pro, then getting the update to 8.1 and then doing the upgrade to windows 10 Pro, but something went wrong when I tried to install windows 8 from my original disc and i got to a point where I tried to even reinstall windows 8.1, which I'd also downloaded the mediacreation tool for and burnt to DVD, but neither of them would boot up, I then as a last resort plugged in the usb stick with the windows 10 Pro and did a clean install, but I'm still getting the problem of my laptop just restarting several times. This morning I plugged the power cord into the wall outlet and didn't try to log on. Eventually I got a screen that gave me two options, either Log on to windows or go to advanced options. So I clicked Log on to windows and my computer booted up but this time it didn't go through a series of restarts, as had previously been happening. Also if I run a cmd prompt:- dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth. It runs and I get a report as attached below. Hope this helps.

Regards

John

IMAG0086.jpg

• JackE
    Options

>>>windows 10 Pro, but something went wrong when I tried to install windows 8 from my original disc >>>

Did you try to install Win8 from inside the Win10 environment or while Win10 was still installed on your HDD?   

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• johnj
    Options

Hello Jack, sorry I've not replied been very busy away from computers. I don't understand what you ask about installing from inside windows 10. I set my BIOS to boot from CD., inseted my windows 8 DVD., restarted my laptop and went through the re-install procedure, including custom install. Selected my "C" drive and re-installed windows 8. Then windows 10 from usb stick. Also I've had my laptop in a shop called Phase1, Urmston, Manchester. They told me they'd never experienced this problem before. Thay had my laptop for over a week and when I went back, they told me they'd run all the diagnostics tests they could and came to the opinion that they were 99% sure it was a fault on the motherboard, so I'm on the verge of sending it to Acer in Plymouth, UK. to have it evaluated by their technicians. The guy at Phase1, when I asked him how much a new motherboard may cost, he told me about 400 pounds and that I could get a more powerful replacement laptop. I told him that my laptop when I bought it in 2008, cost me the equivalent of 1,400 pounds, 74,000 Thai Baht, as I bought it when living in Thailand. My laptop although 8 years old is in the same condition as when it came out of the box, as I look after my expensive toys, therefore why would I want to just scrap it and buy one with a plastic body shell, as mine is aluminium. Also I sourced a motherboard from Acers supply company in Ireland and it costs 193 pounds, inc., VAT, so where the Phase1 tech gets his price opinion from I don't know. Maybe he just wanted me to buy a new laptop from his shop. So I think, rightly or wrongly, that to send it to Acer and if it does need a new motherboard, with courier, tech evaluation and a new motherboard, it my cast me around 300 pounds. Also can you tell me, would I still be able to install my windows 10, which I got as the free upgrade, if a new motherboard is required. The windows 8 I bought is a retail version and as I've prevously said Ihave windows 10 on USB. Apprciate your thouhgts please.

Regards John

• johnj
    Options

Hello Jack, sorry about the couple of spelling mistakes, early morning he he he!

• JackE
    Options

>>>Selected my "C" drive and re-installed windows 8.>>>

Stop right here, John! Was it a clean Win8 re-intall, eg did you allow it to wipe everything? Any issues with this re-installation? If not, any issues with the machine booting, running and exiting Win8 itself? For example, did you open Win8 Device Mgr to see if any hardware or driver issues were detected?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• johnj
    Options

Hi Jack, initially, I did a clean install, wiped everything from the expanded "C" drive that was my old "D"  recovery partition and my "C" partition that are now one partition. I didn't have any problem after installing windows8 apart from the taskbar clock didn't keep time if the laptop was shutdown and when I rebooted it didn't auto time adjust with internet time servers. I had to open the internet time panel and click on Internet Time and then click on update now to get the time adjusted. I think the cmos battery may be dead, but not sure if that is the problem. Also after upgrade to windows 10 everytime I booted up I had to Alt+F7 to get the touchpad to work. I also use a laser mouse sometimes. This issue seems to of come on gradually, as I noticed my laptop after mains boot rebooted a couple of times, then became stable. Its only recently that it has started to continously reboot if on mains supply, so I can't use it on mains power and have to use it on battery only. Also a friend of mine told me a few years ago that if you stream live from the internet very frequently, which I did and do now, he said it could, as he said "fry the motherboard", but I'd of thought that if it fried the motherboard, whatever that is supposed to mean, then it would not boot and be usable on battery power, which it is. I've had it in a local computer repair shop and they told me they had run all the diagnostics that they could and that they also reinstalled windows vista, which was what my laptop came preloaded with to see if that was the problem, but that hasn't solved this problem. They told me that all they could surmise was that they were 99% sure the motherboard had a fault. I asked them, if the motherboard had a fault, why would it boot on battery and not on mains power? the guy told me that the laptop used different components on the motherboard to run the laptop on battery power than it would if running it on mains power. This laptop was not listed as tested by Acer to be compatible for windows 10, but I had no problem installing windows 10 and it ran perfectly for nearly a year after upgrading to windows 10. The shop where i took my laptop, the owner, who told me he was a software engineer, said he'd never heard of this problem before. I've now contacted Acer direct and am waiting for a reply email from them. Also I asked the shop how much a new motherboard would cost and the guy I spoke to told me about 400 pounds and that i could get a comparable or more powerful laptop rather than replace the motherboard. Well my laptop, apart from this problem is as new, as i take great care of my things. Also I have found out from Acer in Ireland that a new motherboard for my model is 193 pounds, including VAT., so the guy that told me about 400 pounds was quite a bit out on his estimation. I don't know how much Acer would charge to replace the motherboard if that is the problem, but if that was the case, then I estimate that with courier, technician evaluation and if needed a new motherboard I hope would cost me less than 300 pounds, but until I get confirmation from Acer I don't know precisely how much it will cost if that is what is neeeded. All i know is that my laptop is in good condition, has an aluminium body, not plastic, so i think its worth repairing, it has 4 GB ram, 320 GB hdd and 2.53GHz so its still a good machine even at todays standards I think. Thanks for all your input and please I'd appreciate your thoughts on this reply. Also Jack, do you know whether my machine could upgrade more ram or is 4 GB the maximum I can use?

Regards John

• JackE
    Options

Hi John---I'll answer your last question first. While your machine states 4GB max,  you can try two 204-pin SODIMM DDR3 4GB memory modules to see if your bios will recognize the full 8GB. No guarantees. But it probably will. 4GB modules are between $10-20 nowadays, so it wouldn't cost much to do the experiment.

>>> Its only recently that it has started to continously reboot if on mains supply>>>

Try this. Power down the machine. Remove the battery. Then try to power up with the mains supply only without the battery. Report back with results.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• johnj
    Options

Hi Jack, this below instruction you sent me. I did that and when I rebooted it was the same, so I unplugged the mains supply and then powered on. I then went into the BIOS "F2" I then went into Main in BIOS and I disabled the Quick Start and rebooted on mains power to see if that fixed it. It didn't, so I unplugged the mains, booted on battery, went back into BIOS and in Main I enabled Quick Start again, then "F10" to save and Yes. I then shutdown in start menu and today I wanted to watch a soccer match on my laptop, live stream from the internet. So I booted on battery power, watched the first half of the match and at half time I left the stream running and plugged in the mains cable to recharge the battery. I thought the laptop would start to keep rebooting again, but low & behold it didn't and it kept streaming. I closed the website after the game finished and expected the laptop to start rebooting continously the same as before, but it didn't and now its just done a big update in windows 10 and it seems that whatever the problem was isn't there anymore. Happy days! I have still to shutdown through windows and reboot with mains power to see if the problem returns, but hoping it doesn't. Will let you know later. Thanks for hlp. seems that maybe what you told me has had something to do with correcting my problem.

Regards John

Its only recently that it has started to continously reboot if on mains supply>>>

Try this. Power down the machine. Remove the battery. Then try to power up with the mains supply only without the battery. Report back with results.

Jack,