Acer 5738G – Windows 7 reinstallation issue post hard drive replacement

Options
e_apu
e_apu Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

My original hard drive of Acer aspire 5738G crashed and I bought a new 1 TB WD hard drive. I tried to reinstall Windows 7 from recovery disk. All data copy and system restoration (from 3 restoration disks) completed successfully. But after the auto reboot, during “Setup is applying system settings” stage I encountered error message “Windows Setup could not configure Windows to run this computer’s hardware”. I tried reinstalling the OS multiple times but every time I am getting the same error. Before replacing my hard drive, I was using Windows 7 Home Premium OEM version and now I was trying to restore the same in my system. Kindly suggest. 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options

Was this originally a factory-installed Win7 32 or 64 model? What Win7 recovery disks are you using? Thanks

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• e_apu
    Options

Yes.. I had pre-installed Windows 7 Home Premium - 64bit. I created recovery disks using acer utility.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

Have never seen this error but just some thoughts:

1) is the computer clock set correctly (can set from BIOS) ?

2) try cleaning or replacing the DVD drive and cleaning the disk

3) Was the WD drive checked and formatted either FAT32 or NTFS before the installation (mount as slave to another machine) ?

• e_apu
    Options

1) is the computer clock set correctly (can set from BIOS) ? => Yes, computer clock is set properly.

2) try cleaning or replacing the DVD drive and cleaning the disk

3) Was the WD drive checked and formatted either FAT32 or NTFS before the installation (mount as slave to another machine) ?

It seems DVD drive and WD drive both working fine. Because on a trial basis, I installed Win 7 [downloaded from micorsoft] (non-activated) and it is working fine. I am not sure, how can I install my own activated OS in the system!

• e_apu
    Options

Please suggest next steps...

• JackE
    Options

As long as you installed the official generic digital river Win7, you'll be fine. Just sit tight. In a short while, you should get a notice to activate the installation from Microsoft. The process may seem a bit compicated, but just follow the directions and it should be relatively painless.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• e_apu
    Options

I don't think I have any details to activate the windows. Because, my original (which was with my laptop) version was OEM and now I have installed is Retail one. So I will not be able to use my product key [present in the back of laptop] to activate. Can you please tell me the process to active the windows using reusing same old license without paying new license fee.

• JackE
    Options

Doesn't matter whether or not the original was OEM Win7. I assume you now have an internet connection. In a short while, Microsoft will automatically send you a notice and ask you to activate your Win7 installation via your internet connection.  All you'll need is the SNID on the bottom of the laptop to activate at the time you get this notice. This SNID identifies your machine as having paid the original license fee thru the OEM distribution.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ