Acer 5560-Sb653 Maxing Out RAM

peptobismal
peptobismal Member Posts: 31 Troubleshooter

Okay, so based on CNET (and the fact that in the midst of posting this am too lazy to pull the SN of the RAM) this laptop is installed with 2 DDR3 Sticks running at 1066MHz. I do know that both these sticks are different manufacturers, but I do not know what the maximum speeds the Motherboard will support are.

Crucial's site shows 1600MHz through their proprietary system scanner, is this true? So, when looking for RAM upgrades I notice that 4GB sticks at this speed are meh about half the cost of the 8GB sets; however, being a software guy by heart my hardware, my ideals tend to be ambivalent on what I have learned/heard and what is actuality when dealing with RAM.

So, what I have been told and I feel really it reigns true almost in any situation (or maybe it's the old days of MS making software geared towards one specific hardware), for best performance and least issues use the same brand, size, and speed.

Now assuming that Acer didn't put in two different speeds, which how they set timings would be beyond me, the modules are different brands and sizes. So, I am wondering if I should go with 1066 and get a 4GB stick for the 2GB... or if my motherboard supports it get a set of 8GB at 1333/1600, etc. what if any difference would this make?

Best Answer

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,018 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Hello,

Oups! Sorry for the link.

I suggest you to buy the same module of 4Gb. Hynix don't like the other brands! Random compatibility.

I find some used parts here.

The part number of your module:

Spoiler
    HMT351S6AFR8C-H9
    France

Answers

• Hello,

This model is shipped with 4Gb + 2Gb - DDR3 - 1333MHz.

Your laptop supports up to 8Gb - DDR3 - 1333MHz (2x4Gb).

You can buy the same module of 4Gb already installed or 2 new ones.

1. Original memory modules of 4Gb:
      Spoiler
      KN.4GB03.005SODIMM.4GB.DDR3-1333 (Nanya)
      KN.4GB0G.003SODIMM.4GB.DDR3-1333 (Hynix)
      You will find the brand and the part number of this one with HWINFO portable version (no  installation).

2. Compatible memory modules:
      Crucial This memory will work at 1333MHz - DDR3 (1.5V instead of 1.35V).
    France
  • peptobismal

Okay... that page is all in French, but it looks the same as the US version, lots of help you are, just kidding, haha. Smiley Wink

That answers all my questions on speed, after a quick Google search, DDR3-1333/CL9/1.5V... and it looks like everything at DDR3 is going to have a CL9, but a lot of the RAM I am seeing on the Internet has that 1.35V, not 1.5V, so if I kept the original 4Gig Hynix stick... would this affect anything as far as performance or, more importantly, stability?

I know that you can get a lot of critical stops/BSOD's from my experience overclocking and messing with voltages to bring my RAM closer to its speed and proper timings on my desktop. Dumb motherboard said it supported 1066-native and 1200 overclocked... already bought an HDD caddy all like yeah, two hard drives! Oaw, ATAPI-only, bummer.

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,018 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Hello,

Oups! Sorry for the link.

I suggest you to buy the same module of 4Gb. Hynix don't like the other brands! Random compatibility.

I find some used parts here.

The part number of your module:

Spoiler
    HMT351S6AFR8C-H9
    France
  • peptobismal

Hmmm... at these prices, it almost seems like shelling out an extra $10 for a brand I have heard of might be a wee bit better? I dunno... $21 for a stick of some who's-ever-heard-of-it brand or $32 for a known brand. Thanks, though, time to go hunting now, I suppose.