Acer 5536 Black Screen

Options
RandomViRuS
RandomViRuS Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi, I have a Acer 5536 from a friend that i have been trying to fix. 

The laptop is suffering with a black screen problem and will not boot all i get is a black screen i have tried connecting to a external monitor but no picture either, However after leaving the laptop plugged into the mains for 20-30mins the laptop and then turning it on it will then boot up as normal. So far i have replaced the bios battery and updated the bios to the latest version on the acer website but again same problem laptop needs to be left plugged into the mains for a while.

I read a post a couple of week ago on here, cant seem to find it now but someone said that he fixed his problem by replacing the bios battery which i have done but he was saying that he had to leave it plugged in for a while as the bios battery was not reaching the 3V and that the 5536 will not boot if below that ? 

Thanks James

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,482 Trailblazer
    Options

What happens when you try to run the system on the charger only? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• RandomViRuS
    Options

Hi Jack,

Thank you for assistance with this, Same thing as with the battery in it. Have to leave it 20-30mins then it will boot up, thats what did happen anyway after i put a new CMOS in it, at the time i broke my wrist so couldn't do much in regard of fixing it so left it like that so he could atleast use it until my wrist was fixed. Unfortunatly now it's not booting at all, been trying pass couple of hours taken it apart again and put new CMOS in it again but no luck.

Im guessing the Motherboard has had it for good now and must of been on it's way out. What i dont understand is why it wouldn't boot at all to begin with new Cmos and bios update and it started booting but only after 20-30mins of it been left plugged in mains. 

Laptop was working fine few months back the only thing that worries me with it is i noticed he was using one of those universal chargers that was reccomended by PC World.....  as he said he lost his old charger and im wondering did that kill it.

• JackE
    Options

The 20-30 min rest period might've also been a cool-down period for a circuit breaker. Do you know if it really had to be plugged in during this rest period? The breaker itself might've failed after that many re-sets. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• RandomViRuS
    Options

Well my friend brought me this laptop a while back, Saying the screen went black and wouldn't turn on at all even then i left it running plugged in for around a hour and would not come. So i took the laptop apart to check for any problems and re seat everything check the screen etc as it was still turning on and the fan was spinning just a black screen. 

I couldn't find anything wrong so i googled this model number and found the 5536 had black screen problem related to the bios, So i updated the bios to 1.11 Still a black screen so i carried on searching and found a post on another forum same model number same problem he updated the bios still black screen, someone suggested replacing the CMOS as apparantly on this model number if the bios is not 3V exactly or over it will not boot on this model. So i did that put the laptop all back together and it started first time kept it here for a couple of days to test it was ok but over time it the black screen came back and it needed to be turned on and left for a few minutes then turned off then on again and it would boot normally. 

I gave it back to my friend so he could use it as i said, as i couldn't do much else with a broken wrist and during the 6 weeks i was in a cast he was telling me it needed to be left on longer that what i said. went round to take a look and it was 20-30 exactly, however now it wont boot at all again and im stuck at black screen.

• JackE
    Options

>>>i have tried connecting to a external monitor but no picture either>>>

Not a good sign for the mainboard graphic adapters if you also tried the toggle key screen combos. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• RandomViRuS
    Options

Yeah worried me that, amount of laptops i get with a Graphics adapter requiring reballing and it's not something i will do anymore.

Tried to toggle but no luck, only time it did work was when as said earlier after the 20-30mins.

Laptop is about 6 years old so it was probably on it's way out, i dont honestly believe me replace the CMOS actually did anything i get the feeling it was when i rebuilt it, only temporary fix i guess. Would of been great to fix it. 

Thank you for your help though Jack very much appreciated.

• JackE
    Options

>>>reballing and it's not something i will do anymore.>>>

If you're both game, you might wanna bake it in the oven. Can't hurt to try at this point. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ