Acer 5253 does not power on?

Options
artov10
artov10 Member Posts: 6 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Acer 5253 - Will not power on, battery or on AC power.  Have tried all the suggested solutions but none have worked.  Is it possible to get maintenace instructions (disassembly, where certain items are located, etc)?  Any suggestions will be appreciated (except taking it to a serice shop !). 

[subject line edited to reflect new topic]

Best Answer

Answers

• ajay_1988
    ajay_1988 Member Posts: 77 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    Could you be more clear to tell what happened to your laptop that it is not powering on. I Mean did you try ant bios update or any other thing?
  • artov10
    Options

This is a unit I got from a friend because it did not power up.  The HD had been removed so I installed a new one.  Was able to format the drive and install the operating system (Win 7 Home Premium).  Things were going well then it started not powering up when the power button was pressed.  If it once started, it would continue to run (over 24 hours).  Then the power button would no longer start the machine. Now, no amount of "talking to it" will cause it to power up.  That's why I am looking for the maintenance instructions - to see if it has a power module or something of that nature.

• ajay_1988
    Options

Make sure you have nothing plugged into the USB ports or a DVD/CD in the player. 

Try this 

1. Remove all connections to the laptop. (USB, power, etc.) 
    2. Remove the battery. 
    3. Press and hold the power on button for 1 full minute. 
    -> Explainer. Yes, many machines only require 10 or 15 seconds but this reset instruction is generic and I've found people hold the button for 9 or 14 seconds so let's write the full minute. 
    4. Let go of the power on button. 
    5. Slip in the battery pack. 
    6. Plug in the power to the laptop and to the wall. 
    7. Do not plug in any other devices. 

Try the power on button! 

If that does not work try it again without putting the battery back in. If either of these works, it is an indication that you have a bad battery. Do not use it with the bad battery install. 

If that does not work check the lights to see if any of them are blinking in a pattern. Sometimes you can get a diagnostic from a blinking caps lock or some other light. 

Check the power jack in the puter and see if it is loose. They have a bad habit of becoming detached from the motherboard. 

If no lights blinking or other wise you might have a dead AC adapter. Find someone with a DVM and see if you can check it. If you have no experience with DVM get someone with experience to do it. You can cause damage if you do it wrong. 

If that does not do it, take it back apart and look for a cable not seated properly.

• ajay_1988
    Options

You May also check if the Power button strip is proper. It looks like this10.jpg

• artov10
    Options

Have done the power reset several times, with and without the battery.  The charger is good.  It would charge the battery (when the unit worked). No lights at all (no power).  However, what and where is the "power button strip"?

Art

• artov10
    Options

Thanks for the information on the Power button strip.  This is the first  "new" information I have received.  Will have to pull the top cover to check it out. Thanks.

Art

• artov10
    Options

Ajay_1988;

Do you have any ideas for getting the top cover of the 5253 off?  I have removed the battery, DVD drive, hard drive,memory sticks, all screws on the bottom, dummy insert.  Seems to be something holding the top cover (not the monitor) on the left side (by the external monitor plug) and the center of the keyboard.  Seems that Acer doesn't have any disassembly instructions for this model (strange).  Appreciate any help.

Art

• ajay_1988
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi,

I am giving you a youtube link for disassembling of Acer 5253 Laptop. Acer 5253 Disassembling

• artov10
    Options

aj_1988;

Thanks a heap.  Just what I needed and couldn't find on Acer, Just  Answer, Tim's laptop service manuals, and several other places I've tried.  "No such animal" they said.  You really deserve this Kudo.

Art

P.S.  It looked like the connection from the Power button strip had come loose from the Mother board.  It's working now.  Now to get it back together without too many parts left over :-))

• ajay_1988
    Options
    Am glad to know that you resolved your problem
  • Sledx85
    Sledx85 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Posting my problem here!

Problem: Acer 5253 BTN push powers on LED's and fans for 3-4 seconds then powers down. No screen.

Tests:

~Power reset (discharge) - same outcome

~Power button replacement - same outcome

~Metered V from AC adapter @ 19.5V

~Metered input @ Motherboard @ 19.5V

~Metered battery V @ .55V

~Metered another component on board @ .55V (help identify that copper cylinder please) is it a resistor/capacitor/etc

~Metered charging terminals @ .55V

~Metered V @ CMOS battery was 2.86 so I replaced - same outcome

Double checked:

All parts were seated correctly. After dissassembling only components that had hot power were motherboard / CPU. All RAM, HD, LCD, etc were removed. Same outcome.

I'm hoping to get lucky in identifying the problem and resoldering the part onto the board but I'll replace entire Motherboard if you deem necessary.

Thanks in advance.

Jake

p.s. I'm a locksmith.

• Sledx85
    Options
  • Sledx85
    Options

I identified the part as a Diode. According to my information it's working properly. I'll attach the diagram I also found and am using to check OB components.

Thanks again for any insight.

Looking for shorts etc.

Mobo r engineer diagram