Acer 1640Z laptop (Windows XP) e-recovery management NOT AVAILABLE !

cp928
cp928 Member Posts: 16 New User

After crashing this XP laptop 2 weeks ago, and then successfully restoring it to working via factory setting, etc. and advice in this forum, I find that I cannot access Acer e-Recovery Management.

Is there any way I can re-install the Recovery Management ?

Best Answer

• cp928
    Answer ✓

Clyde, Success at last. After posting the above I switched off the laptop, and then re-booted, pressing F2.  The D2D recovery item was disabled, so I altered that to 'enable'.  Looking in Acer Empowering Technonology, and clicking on the e-recovery management, I now have access to that.

Seeing as I was exploring e-recovery management a couple of weeks back, and clicked on an incorrect step, it caused the laptop to crash.  I will be wary of using e-recovery until I have fully understood what it says in the manual.  I use Macrium Reflect for backup, normally, so will contine with that for the time being.

Thanks for your interest and help.

Answers

• Clyde
    Clyde Member, Knowledge Author Posts: 420 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

If your hidden partition has not been formatted or removed, you can try the steps below. They came from a thread on another forum http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/248031-44-acer-laptop-recovery-problems.

Make PQSERVICE ACTIVE Partition.
    Just out of interest,for those who stumble across this thread who are trying to use "pqservice" without the ALT+F10 at boot function ( which is probably beacause of other partitions of the drive being formatted removing the mbr which allowed the ALT+F10 function to work)

After the above instructions do the following:
    Open Start Menu
    Right click on computer
    Click Manage
    Click disk management (under storage)
    Set your pqservice as the active partition,or other recovery partition as the active partition( right click the partition click mark as active)
    then reboot
    the recovery partition will then start after POST and you will be able to put your computer back to Factory settings.
    when factory restore is complete PQSERVICE will be hidden again

• cp928

Clyde, Thank you for that reply and the information.  I will have a look at what you suggest later today. And,hopefully, come back and thank you for a positive result.

• cp928

Clyde, I have tried the link re "toms hardware", but get the result '404 page not found'.  I will have to do a bit more digging and searching.

• cp928
    Answer ✓

Clyde, Success at last. After posting the above I switched off the laptop, and then re-booted, pressing F2.  The D2D recovery item was disabled, so I altered that to 'enable'.  Looking in Acer Empowering Technonology, and clicking on the e-recovery management, I now have access to that.

Seeing as I was exploring e-recovery management a couple of weeks back, and clicked on an incorrect step, it caused the laptop to crash.  I will be wary of using e-recovery until I have fully understood what it says in the manual.  I use Macrium Reflect for backup, normally, so will contine with that for the time being.

Thanks for your interest and help.