ASPIRE 5520 no sound after windows 10

Options
seuman
seuman Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I got a laptop as a gift that the previous owner had updated to windwos 10 and there is no sound from the speakers or headphone jack.  When I checked the settings, it is saying that there is no audio device is installed.  After a google search, it said that I should try and install new drivers, when tried to go to the ACER website and look for new drivers I think I found the correct ones, Vista 64 bit, but I'm not sure how to get them to install.  The wizard is not recognizing them, and when I go into the file manually, there is a whole list of things I can choose, but none of them seem to help.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,630 Trailblazer
    Options

Before you go any further, I recommend you try to recover your system to a factory-fresh WinVista state via the Alt+F10 startup method if you don't have the original WinVista installation CD/DVDs. This will confirm that your audio hardware, as well as other subsystem hardware, has not failed but that its latest driver is likely incompatible with Win10. Because your 5520 is at least 10 years old, it's unlikely that updated drivers beyond Win7 are gonna be made available in the near future. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• seuman
    seuman Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thank you for the information.  I didn't realize how old the laptop was when I first post the message and figured it out shortly after I posted.  I will try your suggestions and see if there is a way I can get it rolled back.  

But, at that age, even if I do, I told my kids that I'm not sure if it will even do all of the things they're hoping (mostly games, minecraft, youtube browsing, things 10-12 year olds would do).  If you have any thoughts on that, I would be most appreciative of your thoughts on that as well.  But, either way, thank you for your assistance.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,630 Trailblazer
    Options

If you can get it to run OK with WinVista, you should be OK with minecraft & youtube. Google "gamesystemrequirements" "minecraft" with the quotes. Other games can be checked out this way. Good luck! Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ