AO756-2887 How do you replace the CMOS battery?

pkskyAspire
pkskyAspire Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

I am having POST problems.  First the drive is not recognized and now I get no POST at all.  I suspect a dead CMOS battery.  I'm thinking that this is something that needs replacing anyway somewhere in the life of the computer.

I have the service manual and it does say that replacing the CMOS battery is a solution for at least one problem.  But there is nothing in there about how to replace it.

How do you replace the CMOS battery on the AO756 Aspire One laptop?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

The CMOS battery is under the keyboard, near the touchpad.

you need to unsolder and solder back a new one.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • pkskyAspire

Tinkerer

Thanks for your reply.

Do you think a dead BIOS battery is the problem?  Is there any way to test the battery before I remove it?

Is it the usual CR2032?

• IronFly

How old is your AO756?

battery form looks like 2032 but it's a special vesion with 2 leafs to solder; you have to un-solder to test battery voltage.

• pkskyAspire

Tinkerer

The laptop is about 3 years old.

Where can I get one of these batteries?  I think I need a part or model number.

• IronFly

i can't find any part number but in my opinion any Radioshack or even Amazon can sell it.

you need to open your laptop and read the code on the battery or take it to a shop, nothing so hard to find it.

• pkskyAspire

Tinkerer

If you search "CR2032 solder tabs", you get a lot of hits.

I'll post again on this when I make some further progress.  I've found a few units that look like the one I need on eBay.

• IronFly

wait...."look like" doesn't work on electronic sector. Smiley Happy

you need to read the battery code. Smiley Happy

• pkskyAspire

Tinkerer

Of course.  It needs to be the same type as the battery installed.  My guess is that it is a CR2032, but I'll be sure to look to make sure.

The problem is that just because the battery is a CR2032 doesn't mean that it is a battery with soldering tabs.  I was hoping an additional model number specifying my soldering tab type.  I don't see any such specification code for the tabbed batteries I see posted for sale.