ACER ASPIRE 5560G BIOS ISSUE

thekeltz
thekeltz Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

I purchased a Acer Aspire 5560g yesterday second hand , lappy worked great. Was updating all the drivers one of which was the BIOS. The install went through and then upon reboot the machine Black Screened. No HDD activity no display. Just a solid Blue light on front bezel fan running. Connected to external monitor and still nothing. From all Ive read it sounds like the BIOS installed hosed. Can someone PLEASE give me a good step by step on how to reflash the BIOS on this machine using a USB drive? I have also reset the cmos battery and reseated the ram.

Best Answer

• thekeltz

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

OKAY.......First off , Jack thanks for the help. After everything else failed....I decided to try the ram in another notebook I had laying around........that laptop failed to boot.....so in true square one tech support fashion....the easiest fix was what I should have checked in the first couple steps. Replaced the ram...and I am now posting in this forum from the Zombie Lappy....Thanks again Jack , you're tha man!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,469 Trailblazer

What procedure did you use to flash the bios?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• thekeltz

Tinkerer

the icluded winflash method......

• JackE

There are 2 bios options and a Western Digital firmware update. Which one did you download and try to install?

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• thekeltz

Tinkerer

It was tthe 1.09 bios .....I feel that may have been the wrong one I should have installed the one with ATI suopport.......

But there sjhould be a way to correct it shouldn't there?

• JackE

Yeah, probably right. First, download the 115 file, unzip it and copy all the files you see in the DOS subdirectory to a blank USB stick. Insert the USB stick with the power off. Press and hold the Fn + Esc keys, then press the power button but don't let go of the Fn + Esc keys till after you see the USB stick activity light working. Then hope for the best. Report back with results. 

Thanks

Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• thekeltz

Tinkerer

Thanks so much for your help , sadly still nothing. I also tried making a bootable dvd and cd with the bios update package emulating floppy drive and that was a no go aws well. Are there any other keys I can try holding down or is Fn + Esc absolute to trigger the reflash? Thanks again for your help.

• JackE

OK then, try this next. Copy the JE50115.bin file on the stick to JE50115.fd . So now there should be two files on the stick JE50115.bin and JE50115.fd

The do the Fn + Esc and power on routine again. Hope again too. Report back.

I assume the screen is totally black when powering on --- no Acer logo screen --- no nothing. Though you can't see a screen, do you think the machine is booting to Windows OK? Meaning, do you hear the Windows welcome melody or any other non-visual signs of a successful boot?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• thekeltz

Tinkerer

I will try now. No , no sign of boot at all.....=(

• thekeltz

Tinkerer

No good....same thing. I don't even see the usb activity....never did actually. 

• JackE

Do you hear any beep codes when first powered on?

Do you know if your usb stick was formatted to fat32?

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• thekeltz

Tinkerer

No beeps at all...I pulled both sticks of ram to try and focre the siren beeping from no memory and still got nothing....But that stuff is all controlled by the BIOS isnt it? Like if the BIOS is gone the lappy doesn't now to look for ram...Is that train of thought correct? I fear I may need to have someone physically reflash the bios chip =( Jack thank you very much for all your help though , I appreciate it greatly.

• JackE

No beep codes is sort of a good sign. The power on ramtest usually isn't done anymore as in the old days. I assume you haven't messed with or tried to upgrade the ram yet anyway.

But don't give up.  Again, do you know if your stick was formatted to FAT32? If not, or you're not sure, please re-format the stick to FAT32. And recopy all the files, including the .bin and .fd files, back onto the stick. And then re-try the Fn+Esc and power on routine. And hope for some stick LED activity this time while crossing your fingers.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• thekeltz

Tinkerer

Ok sorry , yeah the stick was good ol FAT , not FAT32. So Im going to ty again here. I am currently looking at the entire lappy in pieces lol tooke EVERYTHING apart as part of a reaseating fest lol. So My stick should have All the dos files from the bios update as well as a copy of the .bin renamed as .fd , right?

Thanks again Jack...

• thekeltz

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

OKAY.......First off , Jack thanks for the help. After everything else failed....I decided to try the ram in another notebook I had laying around........that laptop failed to boot.....so in true square one tech support fashion....the easiest fix was what I should have checked in the first couple steps. Replaced the ram...and I am now posting in this forum from the Zombie Lappy....Thanks again Jack , you're tha man!

• JackE

Great job!!! Whoda thunk it?! Not me. Maybe the ram just needed to be re-seated? Odd that it would coincidentally happen like that.

Anyway, now that you're up and running again, care to try to flash the bios to see if you can go back to square one?! Just kidding.

Seriously though, you might want to run sysinfo to check what you have on the machine now for future reference.

Again, a great job on your part.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• maghii
    maghii Member Posts: 7 New User

Hello Guys,

Even I had a similar problem. I was planning to take it to service center. But just wanted to try once more so searched in the community and got this thread.

My situation is I changed my RAM 2 months ago from 3GB to 8GB on my 5830TG. It was working fine till last couple of weeks until I made one change in BIOS setting and then I tried rebooting then I don't get any screen. my Hardisk looks like it was running. I never got to BIOS screen at all. I got scared & din't know what to do.

After reading this post I replaced my new ram with the old once which I had it with me. My laptop booted properly. Then I removed the old ones & added both the new RAM's then the laptop did not boot. Suspecting that one of the RAM must have gone non functional I tried one by one. Both worked fine. Finally I had to insert the RAM properly. Insert it little hard so that it sat fine in the slot. I also reset my BIOS just in case.

Great post guys, it helped my try once. You don't know how much time and money I saved :-)

Thanks a ton.

• JackE

Excellent. Good for you! I just referred another person with a similar problem on a similar machine with this fix. Oftentimes, the bios isn't the root cause of the black screen issue despite what a Google search and the Low End Guru might claim. 8^) Thanks for posting your success.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• attilagis
    attilagis Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi man,

I am totally tapped in the same situation, that download the BIOS 1.09 file on the website and then black screen until now.

ASPIRE 5560G.

But I tried your solution there are no response from the computer.

the power led is on, the dvd-rom led flashed one time, the usb flashed one time,the electrical fan runs and then no response.

Here are some issus,

1. the USB is 4GB , FAT-32 will it influence the result?

2. the file of the BIOS.

I copyed all the dos file of 1.15 to the usb

• JackE

Have you had any temporary black screen problems like this in the past before you tried to upgrade the bios?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• attilagis
    attilagis Member Posts: 4 New User

But 3 days ago my system runs very slow because of too much softwares, and I delete some and reinstalled windows 7, because C: got too much rubbish, and also downloaded the drives from the website.But the website also put the winflash Bios software on the website to improve, so after I installed all the drivers. I took the wrong, 1.09 BIOS.

That time I remembered quite clear.

After Run the BIOS for Windows, WinFlashPg.exe, my computer shuttled down and restarted, but all black until then, opps...Smiley Sad i waited... but nothing restarted, no windows ,nothing......Smiley Mad

Before that i got no problems,no black screen with my computer.

When I started the computer, there are some signs:

1.the light of the power is on

2.the voice of hardware start ,voice of fans

3.then the light of dvd-rom.

So I try to think that there is a problem with BIOS, so I followed the steps of yours:

1. a USB with FAT-32 format,4GB Samsong. 

2. unzip the 115.zip, and find the DOS file, and copy all of them to the USB.

3. unpower, unbattery, put the USB on, press Fn+Esc and hold on, power on .

Here is the Report:

1. the light of the power is on, the voice of the fan no beep.

2.dvd-rom light flashed

3.USB's light flashed only one time (means actived but not work?)

Then no reply,also black screen, I hold about 10 minutes.

And I also tried  Copy the JE50115.bin file on the stick, rename it to JE50115.fb, and copyed the 2 files to USB.

but the same happened as above.Smiley Mad

do you think it is a serious problem with my motherboard and it broke?Smiley Sad

or can I do something to save it?

THANKS VERYYYYY MUCH FOR UR CARRINGG!!!