7740g bios recovery

Options
Gold1969
Gold1969 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Updated the bios in a Aspire 7740g from version 1.15 to 1.16 but with poor result. It flashed everything correctly, but when rebooting, nothing... Black screen.

The fan starts and stops after a few seconds, led's indicating that it's "alive", and I've tried the crisis recovery tool with bios 1.15 or 1.16. First with USB-drive (tried all ports), then on a CD-R. No sign of activity on the USB, but the CD-R spins up, head reading and can hear it working for 30-60 sec., rebooting, but then - nothing.

I have tried all key-commands, suggested on the net. Win+ESC, Win+B, Fn+ESC, Fn+B, but - nothing. (Power off, plug and battery removed, hold keys down, power connected and power on.....)

The battery is dead and removed, but it doesn't seem as it matters anyway?

Anyone? What kind of bios does this Aspire have? Any other key-commands I should try? Other Ideas? It seems as the Recovery Boot Block is there somehow, as the CD/DVD-drive spins up and sounds as it's working.

Hope you can help!

Ulrik.

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

It's a Phoenix bios.Download the 1.27 bios and extract it to a new folder on your desktop. Find the DOS folder. "JV70127.WPH" is your bios. Rename it BIOS.WPH and follow this guide.

CRISIS Disk (WINCRIS):-
    Acer Aspire 9420 BIOS v1.24 Recovery.rar
    Only need to replace the "BIOS.WPH" file with yours. Make sure the BIOS.WPH file is the one working with your model. Preferably the original BIOS image file. The BIOS.WPH file in the package is for Aspire 9420 (also compatible with: Aspire 7110, Aspire 9410, Aspire 9410Z, TravelMate 5110, TravelMate 5610, TravelMate 5620)

1) Download Crisis Disk maker above.
    2) Create Crisis Disk using WINCRIS (need a floppy disk or usb pen drive/usb flash drive).
    3) Remember to replaced the "BIOS.WPH" file with yours. It is important to rename the BIOS file to "BIOS.WPH".
    4) Make sure the battery and the power cord are connected to the laptop. Also laptop need to be in power-off state.
    5) Hold in Fn+Esc and then press the power button (without releasing Fn+Esc key).
    6) The USB floppy drive/pen drive/flash drive light will flash as it reads the BIOS file from the disk. You can release Fn+Esc key.
    7) While in recovery process, display will always blank.
    8) Recovery process will take a while (a minute or two). Laptop will automatically restart when recovery process succeed. You should see POST after restart.

• Gold1969
    Gold1969 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I can't get it to use the usb-pen (led on usb-pen, so I can see, if it's working), so I made 3 CD's instead with the WinCRS-tool, containing bios-version 1.15, 1.16 and 1.27.

With the bios-recovery burned on CD, same thing happens. Computer works with something (no picture), then reboots and then..... nothing... No picture, no activity on hdd, usb or dvd-drive. Just nothing...

Frustrating...