5750g Random horizontal flicker - diagnosis please

Options
Noiseyv
Noiseyv Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I have, well my daughter uses and wants me to fix, a 5750g which randomly flickers horzontally. The best description I can give is that it is like an old school TV which has lost it sync. The flicker is not in the same position each time and perhaps seems to be related to what is going on on the screen - eg if heavy graphics use - but I am not totally sure. Although I am not epileptic it is very distracting.

I have taken the cover off (it is clearly out of warranty) and cannot see anything dodgy in the video cable but am wondering if I should just replace this anyway. But if someone can tell me if it is say, the graphics card and there is nothing I can do then I will know not to bother.

It is a shame because the laptop still performs well in other respects.

Any ideas about the cause?

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,170 Trailblazer
    Options

Hi,

You could move the screen to different positions while it's flickering, if it stops, then it could be a faulty display cabe, try connecting to an external monitor with HDMI or VGA cable, if you don't see the flickering, you have to replace the screen in your laptop.

• Noiseyv
    Options

Thanks for the quick reply but if the flicker does not appear on HDMI - surely the fault could be in the cable to the Display OR the the display itself. 

But I will try via HDMI because if it shows there then it must be coming from the graphics card...

I will report back...

• Noiseyv
    Options

The flicker refuses to happen with the screeen surround off and the screws not replaced on the base. So I have ordered a replacement cable and will install this. I am suspicious that the cable misbehaves when it is screwed up - perhaps it got damaged somewhere..anyhow - having got this far will replace it.

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,170 Trailblazer
    Options

Hi,

You are right, the screws must be hand tight and shouldn't be over tightened, anyway replace the cable and see whether it fixes the problem, good luck.