5750G Turbo Boost doesn't seem to be working anymore (CPU-Z 789Mhz on average)

Options
Magic
Magic Member Posts: 6 New User

I just installed a new game, and because it suddenly has input control lag (it's an MMO) and lower FPS it didn't use to have, I decided to check if everything's going good, and according to CPU-Z, my i5-2430M, which is suppsoed to be 2.4 with up to 3.0 Ghz Turboosted, is on about 789 Mhz when the game is playing, and CPU is at 100% according to the task manager. When I switch off the game, sometimes it goes to 1500Mhz, but even according to the Turbo Boost Monitor app that comes with the laptop, it never goes above 2.4 (and rarely goes up to 2.4). It used to though, I remember a year ago it used to go up to 3.0.

Is there something that could've broken the Turbo Boost? I only updated to the latest 540M Nvidia drivers and C++ runtime, otherwise everything is the same. Other games are fine, but this MMO has these issues it didn't have before, and it's strange my CPU seems to be throttled and doesn't TB anymore, nor does it go up to 2400Mhz while playing as it should be.

Interestingly enough, when I uninstalled ePowerManagement, suddenly CPU-Z had Mhz up to 2450, but game suddenly had more tearing lag than before, so I reinstalled it.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,617 Trailblazer
    Options

Check your power plan in Control Panel is set to high performance.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Magic
    Options

It is, I always make sure to check if it's on.

• JackE
    Options

Any changes to the bios or its settings?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Magic
    Options

None, I actually checked the bios several times this month and it's exactly the same. It doesn't even have a turbo boost option unfortunately.

• JackE
    Options

What is/was the factory-installed operating system? Does device mgr show any errors/warnings?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Magic
    Options

Win 7 64-bit version, Home Premium. Device manager is fine, however I do have atheros BSODs from time to time.

• JackE
    Options

>>>it's strange my CPU seems to be throttled and doesn't TB anymore, nor does it go up to 2400Mhz while playing as it should be.>>>

What happens if you check this immediately after a cold boot of a thoroughly cooled-down machine? Do you have a CPU temp monitor app? When's the last time you tried to vacuum or blow dust bunnies out of air intake and exhaust ports?

Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• blake
    blake Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    Options

if you still have the box or the system requirements for the game. I would check that to make sure

it is compatible to your system. Some games have system requirements listed to run it. check it out.