[4820tg] Can I replace my harddrive and still keep the Windows license?

Mattedatten
Mattedatten Member Posts: 2 New User

Hey! A quick question, about an older laptop which still is alive.

Acer Aspire 4820TG

Windows 7 Home

Can I replace the harddrive and install Windows still?

I mean, I have burned out the recovery CDs or whatever Acer's software asked for when the computer was new. Can those be used to install Windows if I replace the current harddrive?

If so, how does the license work? I assume they can't be used on another computer, but can I reinstall however much I want on this one?

Thanks in advance!

And, this laptop is great. Going strong through its 4th year and the battery still pumps out ~4-5h when being conservative with the usage. Heh, the other parts are probably slowly dying though, including the harddrive.

Oh well.

Smiley Happy

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Yes to all your questions.

you must use the recovery media you created, just double check they are still ok or create a new one, just in case.

about license, it's on BIOS as SLIC table, so you don't need to enter any serial and your windows will be activated automatically.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Yes to all your questions.

you must use the recovery media you created, just double check they are still ok or create a new one, just in case.

about license, it's on BIOS as SLIC table, so you don't need to enter any serial and your windows will be activated automatically.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Mattedatten
    Mattedatten Member Posts: 2 New User

That's great to hear, thanks for the quick reply! Have a kudo and whatever else this forum allows for good responses Smiley Wink