1830t laptop battery level invisible to system

juntjoo
juntjoo Member Posts: 20 Networker

I have 3 batteries  I use and one is not being seen by my system, whether I boot in windows or linux.  There power is definitely there and I use it but it just isn't showing the level and I have to struggle with the system trying to deal with it trying to shutdown or whatever. But it does work so not the end of the world though I'd like to be able to know how much juice I've got left.  Any ideas on this one? 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer

One of your 3 batteries seems to have a defective charge management chip. So it's highly unlikely to be an issue with your laptop. For example, I have 2 batteries. One of them no longer gives a critical low-level charge warning. It's NOT an issue with my laptop but with the battery. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• juntjoo
    juntjoo Member Posts: 20 Networker
    Thanks. I figured that much but is there any remedy you know of?
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer

I strongly recommend AGAINST trying to open a sealed Li ion battery case to access its defective management chip. Too risky. And the battery will become totally useless if any of the sealed cells are exposed to air. It's just not worth it when new 1830T batteries are only $20 each. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ