help regarding upgrading RAM in my Gateway FX6000

Options
lucmark
lucmark Member Posts: 8 New User

Hello everyone,

Looking for help regarding upgrading RAM in my Gateway FX6000. I have PCI slots, I believe, to upgrade, currently holding 6 DDR3 1GB cards. I want to upgrade to 16GB. Is this possible? I can buy two 4GB RAM cards from Ebay rather cheap, but I don't know if the motherboard can handle this upgrade.

Currently I have 3 older looking RAM and three PC3 10666 Platinum Series 1 GB cards. Also, there are 3 white PCI slots with the older RAM and three blue with the newer lokking PC3 10666 RAM.

If anyone can help me out this would be great.

I am going to upgrade my graphics card as well, any limitations on this?

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

These are the memory slots

DDR2-1.jpg

I don't know what you have in your PCI slots, but it can't be memory.

If it will run 16GB, buy 2 8GB dimms and put them in two of these slots.

Press each side evenly until you feel and hear them click in.

• CarbonElectrode
    CarbonElectrode Member Posts: 7 New User
    Options

You will need to search for memory and specifications based on your specific model, not just the Series.

A quick duckduckgo search yielded several results on the series, but still too general.

for example:

http://www.computermemoryoutlet.com/memory-store/gateway/

http://www.oempcworld.com/configurator/configurator.php?mch=Select...&mfr=Gateway&mdn=FX6000+Desktop+Series

User your judgement on these sites. Not all vendors maintain or update their database to reflect newer and larger memory modules that came out after the PC's specs were published.

Other specific-model searches can point to you specs for adding PCI and PCIe cards. 

• lucmark
    Options

Thanks for your reply. I have six memory slots, not two. Does this matter?

Is there a cap on the amount of RAM I can put in? I read that this Motherboard only runs RAM at 1066. If this is true then would there be  apoint in upgrading from6GB to 16GB if the PC would be runing the 16GB at 1066? Or would it still benefit the performance?

• philetus
    Options

It will all run at 1066, but you would have a lot more of it.If you game you will see the benefit. If you use your computer for surfing and email, not so much.

• lucmark
    Options

I found my model. It is the only one with 6 slots. But one site says max 12GB and one say max 16GB. Which should I believe? Should I get four 4GB? Or two 2GB? Can I buy any brand name?

• lucmark
    Options

Can I put 4GB or 8GB in each slot?

• philetus
    Options

What is your model?

• lucmark
    Options

The back of my PC says FX6800, but the site you guys referred me to has no such model. The closest are

FX6800-01E and FX6802-03.

Do any graphics cards go with this model as well? Like what about a MSI?

• CarbonElectrode
    CarbonElectrode Member Posts: 7 New User
    Options

lucmark wrote:

The back of my PC says FX6800, but the site you guys referred me to has no such model.

That was the point!!  The sites require your model number in order to properly guide you.  Find your model #.

The closest are

FX6800-01E and FX6802-03.

That is guess-work.  It is a start. But do your homework and find your model number.
    If you bought the system new, it is likely explicitly on your Order information.  And for Gateway, it is on the original packaging/box-label. 

Do any graphics cards go with this model as well?

Ans. 'No.' 

Not just "ANY Graphic Card".  What SPECIFICALLY is 'this model'? You don't know. Again, think for yourself a bit and find information on what you bought or what you have.

Ans. There are MANY graphics cards that will work in a typical desktop system -- you need to know the specifications of your particular model.

Perhaps you can enlist the help of a friend, or a friend of a friend, to help you discover your PC's Model Number. It really is that simple as a first step.

Good luck.

• lucmark
    Options

FX6800-01E

I think I have to get tri RAM, that comes in threes. But there is an auction for six on Ebay. I just don't know if it consists of two pairs of threes or if that matters.

I think the MB takes only ATI and Nvidia GCs.

• philetus
    Options

I had desktops for years, built my own and I have no idea what you are talking about.

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer
    Options

EDIT: Also Tripple Speed ram was for the i7 900 type Cpu. That is a way for the ram and CPU to compute faster. MORE lanes of Highway for the information to pass the CPU and ram. So using Tripple Channel would be better then double or single channel ram. There is also a Quad channel ram as well... Specific to your MB and CPU and Ram for tripple Channel   End EDIT.....

I don't know if you have tired this or not.... But as something to try.... 

Sorry not sure what software your using but try the Windows button and R if that brings up run type in MSINFO32 press enter. (If it don't bring up your run box and type it) Then about  the 6th one down it should state manufacture (Acer, Gateway ETC) then the 7th should be the Model FX6800 or something like that. I know that on one of my HPs it says on the case it is zyx and there is like 15 sub models in that barnd but in the Info area it shows the right model for my system....

Also you could try and load a software called CPU-Z in there you can learn alot about your system. after you load it, go to the bottom of the widow and click on tools and save as html. Make a name you want it will make your computer name already. add the .html and save. Then bring up that window in there it will say your ram now, that max your CPU/MB supports and so on. 

James