cpu fan speed - Gateway LX6820-01

dliquin
dliquin Member Posts: 6 New User

PC has mostly worked fine for years, running Win10 since summer.

A couple days ago it just shut down. Wiggled some cords, restarted, and some good, some bad. Date and time gone, so replaced CMOS battery. Ever since we've had the PC we've had some post code beeps at start, now all gone (maybe because it defaults to fast start).

BUT the CPU fan now runs at full (loud) speed all the time. Cleaned everything - vents, heatsink, etc. Removed heatsink and cleaned more and replaced CPU thermal stuff. No difference. Tried speedfan software and it doesn't seem to be able to control fan speed for my system. More importantly - based on its stats, it doesn't look like anything is running hot. Have tried BIOS with Smartfan enabled and disabled - no difference.

Need some more ideas!  What else can I try?

Answers

• Karp-Acer_Retired
    Karp-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 2,599 Guru

The electrical components in a computer generate heat, and fans inside the computer help move the air to keep the components cooled to normal operating temperatures. Inadequate cooling can cause excess heat which forces the fan to run constantly, can potentially damage components, and limit the speed of the CPU. Excessive heat can also cause applications to work slower than normal. The sound of the fan running all the time may the first clue that your computer may not be running as efficiently as possible and that you could have a problem with accumulated dust clogging air vents.

Please click link below for more information.

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/418/~/how-can-i-reduce-the-heat-and-fan-noise-coming-from-my-computer%3F#_ga=1.220387483.263337500.1415824428

minimizar para MAXIMIZAR.

Descubra a mais recente e inovadora tecnologia que chegará no mercado, next@acer.
  • dliquin

I HAD issues with dust etc. before... But as noted above, EVERYTHING has been cleaned up.  There is no dust blocking anything at this point.

• dliquin

Some additional info:

Before the unexpected shutdown a few weeks ago that started the fan speed problem, the PC had BIOS beep codes on start-up.  High, low, high-high-high, low-low. Never any noticeable operational problems so I never tried to track down the cause(s). I don't remember when the beeps started, but they were there for years.

So ever since, the post codes are completely gone.  PC is running great, but fan noise is terrible. ALL that happened as far as I know was the PC died, when I turned it back on the date and time were lost so I replaced the CMOS battery, and ever since the post codes are gone and the fan runs 100% all the time. After researching the fan noise, I cleaned up all vents, heat sink, etc. etc. and reinstalled the heatsink/fan with new thermal compound.

Is it possible that the fan should be replaced?

THANKS for any additional help!

P.S. According to SpeedFan, the CPU cores are around 100-106 degrees F (with fan at 100%). I have no idea if that is normal, or what the temps were when the fan was not running 100% all the time.