Windows 10 UPGRADE. Gateway FX530XG, Vista computer. How do I change the bios to BOOT TO USB?

gerryswo
gerryswo Member Posts: 3 New User

I am trying to upgrade my Gateway FX530XG Vista computer to WIndows10. Windows 10 only comes as a USB drive. How do I change my BIOS to recognize the WIndows USB drive when I plug it into the a USB port? This will be a clean install so I will be wiping my hard drive clean. All specs for my computer indicate it will accept Windows 10. Below is a picture of my System Setup F2)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to know what to do before I buy Window 10. Thanks.

Gerry

Boot SCreen

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

prior to change the boot menu on BIOS, check if F12 key during boot trigger the boot menu.

this will let you choose the USB windows 10 flash drive.

Honestly, i don't know if it's worth to update it to windows 10, the hardware is old, for sure it will run faster then Vista.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • gerryswo

I'm a litle confused by your response. If I have plugged in a Windows USB stick, what do I do with F12?

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

F12 is BIOS boot menu, here you can choose the bootable device without modifying each time on BIOS.

just a hint: you can try for 90 days windows 10 before buying and i strongly suggest doing it before spending money and having hardware/drivers issue on your PC.

Go here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

and create the bootable USB media using Microsoft tool, install windows 10  skipping the product key request.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • gerryswo

Thanks for your help. It turns out I was able to continue without upgrading to W10