Windows 10 Gateway's Recovery Partition?

coolmichaelrock
coolmichaelrock Member Posts: 32 New User

Will the Recovery partition still be there after windows 10 RTM gets released? I would like the gateway/acer recovery partition for windows 8.0 be removed on here. I just want to know how to make my own partition of the current system or of windows 10 whenever i want and use that instead of Gateway's I don't want to like upgrade to windows 10 rtm next month and get a virus and have to reinstall windows using reset windows/refresh windows feature. Would it downgrade me to 8.0 again and make me have to go through the stuff of upgrading to 8.1 and than back to 10?

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-usb-recovery-drive

I would make a USB recovery drive as described in the link above.

To answer your question(s)...............

I can only tell you from my experience, that I had trouble loading a backup system image from Windows 10 Technical Preview to restore my previous (up-to-date) Windows 8.1 backup image that I had made in Control Panel>File History.

I was using Windows 10 Techinal Preview at a time where it was still pretty buggy....so it's difficult to draw any conclusions from that. In theory, it should have worked fine. But it didn't (for me).

To be on the safe side, you should make a Recovery Drive using the link above before you install Windows 10 or Windows 10 Techincal Preview, etc...

If you want to also make a backup system image, you can try it.  If it works...it works.  But at least you'll have that USB recovery drive to fall back on if you experience the same as I did.

Edit: I was able to eventually get my backup (up-to-date) system image of Windows 8.1 and my current programs and files..etc. restored, but I had to jump through a couple extra hoops to make that happen.

Edit2: Microsoft calls it "system image backup"

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/what-happened-to-backup-restore

I'm not an Acer employee.